Best LED Strips with ESIY

Long time ISY994 user, recently upgraded to EISY and now looking to add some LED strips for kitchen under and over cabinet lighting. I've been reading through the forums and I'm more confused than when I started. My ultimate goal is reliability, I deal with enough software/hardware troubleshooting at work that I'm looking for mostly a set-and-forget kind of setup.  What I've found so far:

Kasa/TP-Link, looks most reliable, but doesn't come in RGBCCT options. Maybe RGBWW is good enough? It's also most expensive, since I'll need ~6 strings, each cut to a few feet in length. The cabinets are broken up by sink/range/fridge, so it's not like I can use one long strip.

MagicHome Controller, I was leaning this direction for a controller like this one, but reading the Polyglot forum, it seems like the MagicHome is flaky and has scene issues. But the price is right, and getting a few controllers and a cuttable strip won't break the bank.

Zigbee maybe would be more reliable, using a controller like this one. I'd have to add the Zigbee module, but then gets everything off wifi, which to be honest, I already have enough on wifi in the house.

I've read other threads here and here which helped me get smarter on all this. But I'm still going around in circles for the 'right' solution.

Any suggestions for a LED-strip newbie?

-Mike

• Like 1

Thanks @firstone, I appreciate it!  It looks like a good solution to be Zigbee, which I assume can connect directly to the EISY (with the Zigbee module)? 

Does anyone have Zigbee-compatible LED strips working directly with EISY? I know Zigbee was only recently released in production for EISY (I believe).

Thank you!!

I initially bought a Zooz Zen31 RGBW controller to experiment with and paired it with an inexpensive roll of of RGBWW led strip that I purchased off of Amazon to create a TV backlight.  I was very happy with the integration of the ZWave control of the LED strips in ISY so following my successful experiment, I proceeded to purchase 3 more Zen31 controllers and and aluminum channel with diffuser for a clean LED strip installation in various other areas of my home.  I have been running them for a few months now and am very happy with these controllers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I'm back!  Got my first Zigbee controller and RGBCCT strip. Got it all connected to the EISY via Zigbee and it's working!  I can do RGB via Hue-Saturation without a problem and on/dim/off. 

How can I enable and turn on the two white options (CW and WW)?  Is there a setting on the eisy admin console?  Or something else I'm missing?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Did you ever get this issue resolved, as I've also been struggling trying to get my Sengled Zigbee BR30 bulbs to tune to different whites in Eisy? (bulbs are changeable white 2700K - 6500K). Before connecting them to Eisy, the bulbs first came on with a very calming warm white, but since integrating them into the Eisy, I am unable to duplicate any whites except a harsh bright white. Not sure if I am also missing something?

Edited by jpoje

@jpoje It seems the Eisy doesn't support the CW/WW colors currently.  So only colors that can be addressed via the HSV (RGB) can be used.

I've made a request on the Zigbee forum here about adding this capability, but haven't heard back and I don't know how important or easy/hard a change like that is in the Eisy system.

I'm still working on the install side, so I haven't checked out the Node side to see if it's something that I could help develop, but it's somewhere on my to do list.

• Sad 1

I have a drop in MagicHome RGB/RGBW/RGBCW bulb and strip controller software that can be dropped into EISY and almost eliminates any popcorn effects on groups up to 10 devices.

It takes some doing to get it setup up but scenes can be created inside ISY programming on-the-fly. No previous setup required. MagicHome/LEDenet devices are WiFi and some are dual BT and come with an included remote. I have a dozen of them in drawers now. LOL

Anybody interested PM me.

Thank you @Mike M.  So I just changed out ALL of my Bluetooth ceiling bulbs and BT/WIFI led strip controllers (that worked just fine in Alexa app controlling colors and whites), to Zigbee bulbs and Zigbee led controllers in hopes of all local control of bulbs and led strips in Eisy (and not rely on Alexa integration).

I don't care too much about my LED strip lighting, RGB is fine as they are mostly for fun, but the Bulbs and LED strips for under cabinet lighting really do need some warm/bright white options. I suppose I may have to switch back to my Bluetooth bulbs and Alexa for now. ☹️

Edited by jpoje