HTTP error 500

Go to solution Solved by bmercier,

For the last three days, whenever I make a change in my Amazon Echo device list inside UD Portal, whether it be to add a device, delete the device, or add or delete other information such as Spoken, as soon as I hit apply I get an “HTTP error 500”.  The change I make generally does not show up until I close and then reopen the device list.  The change I make generally does not show up automatically in Alexa and instead I have to instruct Alexa to “discover my devices”.  And then the discovery process is strange.  A couple times it failed to discover something or, in one instance, discovered it twice.  I saw that there was a topic on this “HTTP error 500” issue a couple months ago relating to login problems.  I am not having trouble logging in.

3 hours ago, bmercier said:

Ed,

Could you try to unlink and relink the skill? This is likely to solve the problem.

I have done that a few times and eventually it gets straightened out in Alexa, but not always.  In fact, one time I  did that  it resulted in Alexa discovering the device twice.  So I had to repeat the process before it got finally straightened out.  And each time I  link or unlink a skill, I get the “HTTP error 500”  error message and then have to close and reopen the device list inside UD Portal  before the change is reflected in the list.

27 minutes ago, Ed Sybesma said:

I have done that a few times and eventually it gets straightened out in Alexa, but not always.  In fact, one time I  did that  it resulted in Alexa discovering the device twice.  So I had to repeat the process before it got finally straightened out.  And each time I  link or unlink a skill, I get the “HTTP error 500”  error message and then have to close and reopen the device list inside UD Portal  before the change is reflected in the list.

Have you tried to unlink and relink today?

I made a fix this morning.

I had not tried it this morning.  I did go back in just now and made another change (just adding a room name), rather than unlinking and  re-linking. The change I made was immediately recognized in the device list, without having to close it and reopen it.  The HTTP error did not show up. Yesterday, that kind of change resulted in the HTTP error and required me to close and reopen the device list.  So  it appears that your fix this morning did resolve the problem I was having yesterday, but may have created a new one:

A new anomaly showed up.  I received the following dialogue message:

Skill not linked
The Alexa skill is not linked.
You can continue to add/edit your spoken mapping. When you are ready to link the skill, your devices configured here will be synchronized to Alexa.

Contrary to that message, however, the skill was in fact linked.  It had been linked before and was still linked.

thank you for your ongoing assistance.

11 minutes ago, Ed Sybesma said:

I had not tried it this morning.  I did go back in just now and made another change (just adding a room name), rather than unlinking and  re-linking. The change I made was immediately recognized in the device list, without having to close it and reopen it.  The HTTP error did not show up. Yesterday, that kind of change resulted in the HTTP error and required me to close and reopen the device list.  So  it appears that your fix this morning did resolve the problem I was having yesterday, but may have created a new one:

A new anomaly showed up.  I received the following dialogue message:

Skill not linked
The Alexa skill is not linked.
You can continue to add/edit your spoken mapping. When you are ready to link the skill, your devices configured here will be synchronized to Alexa.

Contrary to that message, however, the skill was in fact linked.  It had been linked before and was still linked.

thank you for your ongoing assistance.

When saving a spoken, it is looking for an oAuth access token that is used to communicate with Amazon. That token is created at the time of linking.

This token does not exist if not linked. 

Previously, there were cases where if missing, this would create an HTTP 500 error.

Now, the access token is still missing, but at least it is handled properly.

If you have not unlinked and relinked, please try it.

If this does not solve the problem, please open a ticket referencing this thread, mention your uuid, and whether you are initiating linking via the Alexa app, or UD Mobile.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, bmercier said:

If this does not solve the problem, please open a ticket referencing this thread, mention your uuid, and whether you are initiating linking via the Alexa app, or UD Mobile.

Once again, thank you for your assistance.  I am going to open a ticket because going back and unlinking and relinking once again gave me the HTTP error message and resulted in anomalies with the connection with Alexa.