need detail for the dials in 2420 motion sensor

someguy

in summary, the instructions say something like:

left dial: turn to the left fully and delay is 30 seconds.

turn to the right fully and delay is (2 hours or so?)

right dial: don't remember.

does anyone have any more specifics, like if you turn the dial to 12 o'clock, the delay is approx (what)?

how about the darkness setting: does anyone have any experience that dusk is at a certain setting and whether moonlight will prevent the sensor from considering it fully dark when set fully that direction?

thanks,

Someguy

• 2 months later...

Not sure about the darkness setting with the moon but here is your other questions...

Smarthome: 2420M Quick-Start Guide

Left Dial – Adjust Automatic “Off†Countdown

Using a small Phillips screwdriver, adjust to the desired time duration which you want Motion Sensor to send an OFF command after the last motion sensed. Turning the dial all the way counter-clockwise sets the countdown to 30 seconds; turning the dial all the way clockwise, sets it to 2 hours. Anywhere in between results in a proportional difference between 30 seconds and 2 hours.

Right Dial – Day / Night Threshold

Using a small Phillips screwdriver, adjust the day / night threshold to desired light level. Turning the dial clockwise increases the light level of the threshold; turning the dial counter-clockwise decreases the light level of the threshold. For example, turning the dial all the way to the right (clockwise), Motion Sensor will read “night†no matter how bright it is. Likewise, turning the dial all the way to the left (counter-clockwise), Motion Sensor will read “day†no matter how dark it is. Turning the dial anywhere in between will choose the specific light level which Motion Sensor uses to determine “night†vs. “day.†To test, set Motion Sensor to Night-Only mode (see jumper 3 above) and tap the Set button 7 times. If it reads the current light level as “Night,†it will turn on its Linked Responders on first sensed motion. If it reads “Day,†the LED will flash on first motion, but it will not turn on its Linked Responders.

I think though you can adjust this stuff from the ISY admin. And with Motion Sensor v.2 you must have the jumper set on pin 5 to use the software settings.

ISY Wiki: Linking a Motion Sensor

Thanks,

I was actually looking for someone to say something like this:

"if you put it at 12:00, then the timeout is approx 1 hour and at 3:00, it is 1.5 hrs."

It is a shame that when you use the ISY to adjust the timeout, it only goes as long as 7 minutes, but if I use the dial, I get up to two hours.

Here is the trap that the 2420 creates for me:

if I use the 2420 to directly turn the light on, the ON part is great (it goes on quickly) but the off is challenging to get right when I want it to be more than 7 minutes because of this problem.

If I use the 2420 through the ISY to turn on lights, it works better, but I lose the very quick ON that is so nice when you enter a room. I don't like that 1-2 second delay where you aren't sure if the lights are going to go on, so you start to reach for the lightswitch.

here is what I'd like: is to have the ON tell the light to go on, but the OFF not to tell the light to go off, I'd use ISY for that. I'm guessing this is not possible. And by the way, I don't like the "On only" mode, because you never know if someone is still in the room.

I had a feeling that is more what you where looking for but since its the Smarthome Channel I was not so sure so I looked up the manual for it.

I need to get one of these devices so I can be more help when it comes to interaction with the ISY. But I did find this note about your 7 min issue is already being worked on.

Insteon Motion Sensor Timeout limitation when set via ISY

Archived