Insteon Scenes Linked to Devices in HA

Another one that I am sure has been answered, but I can't find it.  I have an eisy Scene created with buttons from 3 different Keypads.  I am also running Home Assistant to control my Govee lights.  I created a "scene" in HA with the Govee light, and the Insteon scene.  Seems I can "activate" it from HA and all 4 devices turn on.  But pressing the keypad buttons does not change the state of the Govee lights, so obviously an HA "scene" is not the same as an eisy "scene".

How do I accomplish using the Keypad buttons to control the Govee lights through HA?  Create automations based on the keypad button status?

I have the Insteon device pulled in to HA already. Just wondering if there is something equivalent to ISY scenes in HA, or if I have to do it with programs (automations). I found “Groups” but since the device is a light and the Insteon scenes come in as switches, it looks like I can’t group them?

I did find a helper to change my INSTEON scene from a switch to a light and then group it in HA with the light to control, but that doesn't seem to be the solution I am looking for.  Looks like I can successfully turn on and off the group through HA, but the group does not respond to my keypad button presses.  I have "all entities" turned off, so that if any of the keypad buttons are pressed, I was thinking the group would respond.

Edited by tpolito

Create an ISY scene on Eisy and add the keypad button(s) as controller(s) to that that scene.

Name the ISY scene something easy to identity in HA, ex: Dinning Room KP B, or Light Scene X buttons(s). 

Reload the ISY integration on HA. The new scene will show up as a switch. 

In HA | Automations download a Blueprint called Linked-Entities.

Then create a new automation using that Blueprint to link the ISY scene (KP button) and the light group.

Edited by Diesel

May have spoke to soon.  I set up several groups that way.  When I press a keypad button, the corresponding Govee strip linked in HA turns on, but then continues to turn on and off over and over.  This is happening for each group of linked entities.

1 hour ago, tpolito said:

May have spoke to soon.  I set up several groups that way.  When I press a keypad button, the corresponding Govee strip linked in HA turns on, but then continues to turn on and off over and over.  This is happening for each group of linked entities.

You have a config issue somewhere because I use it for quite a few automations and it's been very stable.

Go back to a simple config. Have the scene contain only 1 keypad button, and make sure that button isn't assigned to any other scene to be sure nothing is conflicting. Be sure 2 linked entities are the new scene you created and the lights you want to control. You'll get it working. Sometimes it's just simple conflict somewhere.  

Edit: Just thought of something. Remove/Delete the Helper you created to change the switch to a light.

Edited by Diesel
54 minutes ago, Diesel said:

You have a config issue somewhere because I use it for quite a few automations and it's been very stable.

Go back to a simple config. Have the scene contain only 1 keypad button, and make sure that button isn't assigned to any other scene to be sure nothing is conflicting. Be sure 2 linked entities are the new scene you created and the lights you want to control. You'll get it working. Sometimes it's just simple conflict somewhere.  

Edit: Just thought of something. Remove/Delete the Helper you created to change the switch to a light.

Ok, so I have started over.  Deleted all helpers, and all automations.

I am testing two separate Govee lights.  Light 1 controlled from Keypad button B and Light 2 controlled from the same Keypad (button C).

When I set up the Linked Entity, I select the Govee Light 1 and have two options to link to it.  A switch and a sensor.  Neither work.  So I created a scene in the eisy and put only Button B in it.  That seems to work.

However, I did the same exact process with Govee Light 2 and Button C, and it constantly turns on and off about every second.  It will work fine the first couple times I press the Keypad button, but then goes back to constantly alternating states.  This is very repeatable.

I'm at a loss.  I am sure it is caused by something I am doing, but I have checked the set up in the eisy and in the HA automations, and they appear to be set up exactly the same.  One seems to be working, the other doesn't.

Edited by tpolito
12 minutes ago, tpolito said:

I wish the Govee Nodeserver worked,

I wish I could provide more answers on why your Govee plug-in is not working. I had problems with mine until I got the short the long and short pols set correctly. It now works flawlessly, as does my son's.

10 minutes ago, dbuss said:

I wish I could provide more answers on why your Govee plug-in is not working. I had problems with mine until I got the short the long and short pols set correctly. It now works flawlessly, as does my son's.

That is good to hear that you got it working.  That gives me some hope.  Any science to how to set those correctly, or is it more of a trial and error thing?

1 minute ago, tpolito said:

hat is good to hear that you got it working.  That gives me some hope.  Any science to how to set those correctly, or is it more of a trial and error thing?

I had to set mine quite high. I kept increasing the numbers until it started working.

I'm just going backwards at this point.  I tired various poll times, and nothing seemed to work, so I deleted the node server and re-installed.  Added my api key.  It now only finds one node, Govee controller.  Previously it had 15 modes.

3 minutes ago, tpolito said:

I'm just going backwards at this point.  I tired various poll times, and nothing seemed to work, so I deleted the node server and re-installed.  Added my api key.  It now only finds one node, Govee controller.  Previously it had 15 modes.

Did you restart the node server and then restart the admin console?

On 2/18/2024 at 8:02 PM, dbuss said:

Did you restart the node server and then restart the admin console?

EDIT: This appears to be an isolated problem as the other lights seem to work as expected.

A little bit of progress.  I have all my Govee lights showing up in the Admin Console (I am guessing I had already reached my call limit yesterday when I was trying to set them up maybe?).  But now I have them all in the Admin Console and can successfully turn them on and off through the Admin Console.

In your setup, have you created scenes with a Keypad button and Govee light?  I have built the scenes.  When I go to the scene in the Admin Console and turn it on or off, the Keypad button and Govee Light respond as they should.  However, when I press the Keypad button locally, the Govee light does not respond at all.  The Keypad button is set as a controller.  Should this be working, or does the Govee Nodeserver not function that way?

Edited by tpolito
13 hours ago, tpolito said:

EDIT: This appears to be an isolated problem as the other lights seem to work as expected.

A little bit of progress.  I have all my Govee lights showing up in the Admin Console (I am guessing I had already reached my call limit yesterday when I was trying to set them up maybe?).  But now I have them all in the Admin Console and can successfully turn them on and off through the Admin Console.

In your setup, have you created scenes with a Keypad button and Govee light?  I have built the scenes.  When I go to the scene in the Admin Console and turn it on or off, the Keypad button and Govee Light respond as they should.  However, when I press the Keypad button locally, the Govee light does not respond at all.  The Keypad button is set as a controller.  Should this be working, or does the Govee Nodeserver not function that way?

I use an Insteon wireless switch and mini remotes as controllers to control my Govee lights in scenes. The Gove lights are responders. Sometimes there's a bit of delay. But, for what I use the Govee lights for, it doesn't matter.