Problems Linking A New KPL

Recently  an old KPL completely disappeared form the Admin Console Repeated factory resets all failed so I  purchased a new replacement KPL. Now, I cannot get the device to link. I get the message "Cannot determine Insteon Engine." Firmware and UI are noth 4.9. The ISY is a 994i. All devices are Insteon.. Everything else is working fine. Is it possibel the new KPL purchased from Insteon is the problem? Ant help will be appreciated.

Some questions, to try in this order:

1. Does it behave as a switch other than not connecting? Backlight and keys light up, beeps appropriately when pressed? Controls the intended load locally, if it has one?

2. There are 2 ways to link, 1 is typing in the switches Insteon address, the other it pressing the set button and letting the PLM discover it... did you try both of those?

3. Do you have a way to try it somewhere else than intended location to eliminate problems there? I've used a utility plug from the hardware store with screw terminals. Screw hot and neutral carefully to that, cap the other leads and plug it in somewhere convenient to physically support it, also where a plug in module also works so you know Insteon traffic makes it there. 
Edited by paulbates

Thank you sir. It has been year4s since I have set one of these up. I tried linking using the insteon address. I have not tried the setup button. Would you tell me where that is located? Is is accessible w/o removing the device from its installed location?

If that doesn't work I will travel in May to a location where I have couple of spares. I will return one to this location and use a power cord to try linking it. If it links, I will pull the one I am trying to install and replace the one that's there/

The switch that I installed obviously has power and it is replacing one that worked for years. Nest step, try the setup button.

Thanks for your patience.

I’ll mention this just because its happened to me more than once.  The device address can sometimes be misread. The letter O looks like a zero, etc.  When I’ve keyed new devices in incorrectly like this I got the same error as you, “Cannot determine Insteon Engine”.  Doesn’t hurt to double check the address.  Good luck.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, slimypizza said:

The device address can sometimes be misread.

Good point and it's gotten worse... Went through this recently with the center octet of the insteon address was 8B.. those 2 are very close looking and I had to really put my face in it to see where I got it wrong