Insteon motion sensor question.

ingeborgdot

It sounds like you want it to be more sensitive to motion, not darkness. There is a jumper to adjust the sensitivity range, but this defaults to the most sensitive.

If you want to adjust the sensitivity to darkness for the Dusk/Dawn feature, the v2 Motion Sensors have a potentiometer to adjust the sensitivity. The v1 sensors do not. You could always disable dusk/dawn and write a program to turn on the lights within a time range when motion is detected. However, this will insert a brief delay between motion and the light coming on.

• 1 year later...
How do I keep my MS from going through batteries so quickly?

Hook up a siren to it. Will probably take <24 hours before everyone remembers to walk around it...

...on a more serious but related note, what settings do you have set on the sensor and where is it located?

• 1 month later...

I finally got a chance to get to my MS today. TOO busy before. I went to the topic at the bottom by illusion that linked to a test done. I just don't quite understand for sure what the jumpers were set to. I thought there was a picture someplace for this but just can't seem to find it. My MS have not been working for over a month now because they lose battery power so fast. Does anyone know the proper jumper settings to make this work right and also how does this guy set up his isy? He said he had 7 of them. Were any two in the same area like I have? My biggest problem is the time frame. I work on this stuff and get somewhat good at it and then don't do anything with it for a couple of months and forget a bunch of things.

I went into the isy and went into options. I never noticed before that there were some setting for this. Maybe they were not there before but they are there now so I have some questions. Sensing mode - do I want it checked or unchecked?

On only mode - checked or unchecked?

night mode - checked or unchecked?

what does the timeout actually do?

LED brightness? I set it to 0 now to help save on battery.

darkness sensitivity? what is a good number?

So with these things in the isy, what jumper settings do I do on the MS?

I run with

Sense Off

On Only

Always On (no dark only)

TImeout 30 seconds

LED 128

Certainly some of the options have an affect over the long term. Could be the difference between 9 months and 10 months but none of the options result in 2 weeks.

Does the Low Bat node say ON?

Lee

Jumper 5 is in place. Jumper 1 which reduces the sensitivity is not in place. No other jumper is in place. The other jumpers do not matter with jumper 5 in place (except jumper 1). The ISY program can have no affect on the Motion Sensor. It is a controller only, sending motion on messages based on the options that are active. The motion sensor has no responder capability and it goes to sleep after sending a motion message.

You might try a factory reset. The reason I asked about HouseLinc2 as it had a bug where it turned the RF circuitry On and failed to turn it Off. That would drop battery life very quickly. The ISY does not use the RF circuitry control commands but if the devices came from Smarthome with that options set it would shorten battery life drastically. The only way to insure that option is not set is to factory reset the motion sensor.

What kind of problem are you having? Perhaps it is not an actual battery problem since Low Bat is not being signaled.

I run with

Sense Off

On Only

Always On (no dark only)

TImeout 30 seconds

LED 128

Certainly some of the options have an affect over the long term. Could be the difference between 9 months and 10 months but none of the options result in 2 weeks.

Does the Low Bat node say ON?

Lee

If I put the LED down to 0 or 10 or something like that would it cut down on battery usage? Should my low bat node say on?

Yes. But an LED draws so little to begin with I have not seen any difference. It will add some additional time if the LED is not used. Once the motion sensor has been positioned and tested the LED serves no real purpose. The Low Bat node stays On. The motion sensor does not send a corresponding message when a new battery is installed. To reset the Low Bat node right click on node and select Query. That does not actually send a Query command as the ISY understands the motion sensor is asleep and would not see it but it does reset the status the ISY is carrying for the node.

Need some additional information. If the Motion Sensor is a Controller of a Scene with Responder(s) this activity cannot be suppressed, assuming the Motion Sensor is not operating in On Only mode. If using On Only mode (motion On message only, no motion Off message) such that the ISY Program is turning the Responder(s) Off then add a Condition to the Program the blocks the Off activity if say a particular KeypadLinc button is On.

Need some additional information. If the Motion Sensor is a Controller of a Scene with Responder(s) this activity cannot be suppressed, assuming the Motion Sensor is not operating in On Only mode. If using On Only mode (motion On message only, no motion Off message) such that the ISY Program is turning the Responder(s) Off then add a Condition to the Program the blocks the Off activity if say a particular KeypadLinc button is On.

I don't have it in a scene. I just have a program for it. Here is my program for this. What would I need to add to disable it to get the lights to stay on?

If

From Sunset

To Sunrise (next day)

And Control 'MS Front Porch' is switched On

And Status 'Living Room Front Porch' is not On

And Program '2.Front Porch Light on 20 minutes' is False

Then

Run Program '2.Front Porch Light on 20 minutes' (Then Path)

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

If

- No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then

Set 'Living Room Front Porch' On

Wait 20 minutes

Set 'Living Room Front Porch' Off

Run Program '2.Front Porch Light on 20 minutes' (Else Path)

Else

Turns the porch light on for 3 minutes. A program is used such that the 'Wait' is not reinitialized by new events triggering 'If conditions'.

If

Control 'Living Room Front Porch' is switched On

Then

Stop program '1.Front Porch Motion Sensed'

Enable Program '1.Front Porch Motion Sensed'

Else

This program returns control to the motion sensor and reinitializes the conditional logic flags. Run Program (Else Path) to reset the motion on/off flag.

If

Control 'Living Room Front Porch' is switched Off

Then

Stop program '1.Front Porch Motion Sensed'

Disable Program '1.Front Porch Motion Sensed'

Else

Double tap (Off)disables the motion sensor such that the porch light stays off until the switch is manually turned on again. Purpose of the 'Run Program'... (Else Path) is to reset the motion on/off flag.

If

Time is Sunrise + 30 minutes

Then

Set 'Living Room Front Porch' Off

Enable Program '1.Front Porch Motion Sensed'

Else

Turns off the porch lights 30 minutes after dawn and resets the programs flags in case the lights were manually overridden and left on all night.

I put the new setting in with the new battery on one of my MS in the front and it is not functioning properly now. It sees because the visitor alert I have made that flashes lights when someone comes to my porch flashed the lights in my house but no outside porch light came on. I will have to look at the programming.

I put the new setting in with the new battery on one of my MS in the front and it is not functioning properly now. It sees because the visitor alert I have made that flashes lights when someone comes to my porch flashed the lights in my house but no outside porch light came on. I will have to look at the programming.

Archived