Programming fanlinc with two KPLs

THIS IS A REPOST:

Hello... Trying to control a fanlinc with two KPLs.  One KPL is a an eight button the other is a six button.  I have spent several hours and several iterations trying to get this to work and sync both keypads.  Thought it would be pretty simple.... NOT!  As a starting point I began with:  https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY994i:INSTEON_Device:FanLinc-KPL_FanLinc_KeypadLinc_Configuration.  

Adding the second keypad in the mix.  That was a NO-GO.  Attempted too many things to try to explain here.... So, does anybody have a working configuration utilizing two KPLs that work, that I may plagiarize?    I don't normally throw in the towel, but I'm at the end here. Any help would be appreciated.

There is no reason that 2 kpl's can't control a fanlinc any different than one kpl.  You set up 4 scenes, one for high, med, low, and off.  First add the fanlinc to each scene as a responder.  Then add all 4 buttons to each scene for both kpl's (8 buttons).  All of the buttons are responders except the button for that scene. Shown below, you see for fan low, the KPL low button is red, meaning it is a controller.  With two KPL's in the scene you would have 8 KPL buttons in each scene and two of them would be red.  Then set the on-level to "off" for all of the non indicated buttons in that scene (in this case, high, off, and medium).  In the below example you can see that only "KPL Low" on level is set to "on", the others are all "off".  Remember that you need to set the on-level for all responders when controlled by each controller.  In my case, that is the master scene and the one button in each scene designated (the one shown in red in the tree).  In your case, it will be 3 (the main scene and each of the two KPL controller buttons).  It will take you a while to set all that up having to go through 4 scenes with 8 buttons in each scene and 3 controllers.  In addition to setting the on-level for each KPL button, don't forget to set the fanlinc level to low/med/high/off for each scene 3 times (once for each controller).

image.png.778e0351fc0411d05d0c609528f00000.png

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I don't have an example but I am with apostolakisl.  I cannot envision why this cannot be done.  The only thing I want to mention is that I have done fan control with a single scene and with four scenes.  Both work for me.

Setting these scenes up definitely takes some attention to detail.

I think the hardest thing to wrap one’s head around in this situation is that you will have eight controllers (two keypads time four buttons) and all eight need to separately have responder levels defined, and that some responder levels will need to be zero (responder turn off when contoller turns on).  

For example, define a scene with nine devices, (eight keypad buttons as controllers and the fanlinc as responder).  You will need to select each of the controllers within the scene and separately set the response levels for the other eight devices.  You need to do that eight times, plus set the responder levels for the whole scene.  This approach should work well if your goal is limited to controlling fans only via keypad buttons.

if you desire to control the fans externally, such as via a program or alexa, using four separate scenes (for off, low, med, and high) can give you a bit more flexibility.    

On 3/24/2024 at 11:01 AM, oberkc said:

I think the hardest thing to wrap one’s head around in this situation is that you will have eight controllers (two keypads time four buttons) and all eight need to separately have responder levels defined, and that some responder levels will need to be zero (responder turn off when contoller turns on).  

For example, define a scene with nine devices, (eight keypad buttons as controllers and the fanlinc as responder).  You will need to select each of the controllers within the scene and separately set the response levels for the other eight devices.  You need to do that eight times, plus set the responder levels for the whole scene.  This approach should work well if your goal is limited to controlling fans only via keypad buttons.

if you desire to control the fans externally, such as via a program or alexa, using four separate scenes (for off, low, med, and high) can give you a bit more flexibility.    

The instructions I provided above is indeed to allow for Alexa to also control the scenes.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, 

Finally got around to set this up.  Bingo!  Both KPL are working and sync'd to control the fan.  I realized the problem was that I didn't define the operation of the buttons in the scenes.  Go figure, live and learn.  Thanks for your time.

Dan