Keypad died. Can I install a toggle and control the fanlinc via Alexa?

armymutt

We had a power outage today and the 6-button keypad that controls my office light/fan is dead.  The fan has a Fanlinc installed.  I don't have a spare keypad but I do have a toggleLinc switch.  Can I use the switch to control the light and separate out the fan speeds in ISY, assign each one a name for Alexa and just use voice control to turn on the fan?  That would be more desirable anyway than having to get up and hit the keypad.  It's lazy, but that's what this stuff is for.

Posted (edited)

That approach sounds fine.

With a but: Togglincs are powerline only, so you'll need to have good insteon powerline comms at that location for the switch to hear from the isy/plm

Edited by paulbates

No. Go ahead an try it. The comment was that there is a limitation to the togglinc compared to the keypad that might or might not affect it's operatio in the location you're installing it

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Installed the ToggleLinc.  Not super ideal if I lose internet, but it works for now.  

EDIT: Spoke too soon.  The switch controls all power to the fan.  If I physically turn off the switch, the fan shuts off and doesn't restart.  

Edited by armymutt
update