Polisy non-functional - Help

Go to solution Solved by CMortimer,

My two year old Polisy with added Z-matter fuctionality has become totally non-functional for devices and programs.

I have been uusing my Polisy for a year or two with a mix of Insteon and Z-wave devices.  About two weeks ago I noticed my Insteon devices and programs were not working.  At the time I was using an older version of the Firmware and UI about 6 months old.  I forgot to note the version before this problem cropped up.  After checking the Insteon devices carefully and replacing the PLM, there were no improvements.  Here is a sequence of what I did to try to get things working again ...

1.  PLM status shows as not connected when running PLM status from Admin Console  (AC) diagnostics.

2.  Any Insteon device action from AC to turn on or off results in a PLM failure message.

3.  Changed the old USB PLM (2413U) to a new PLM from the new Insteon vendor and used the specific power off / on PLM and Polisy sequence.  Result -  no change to Insteon functionality.

4.  Decided to do an Upgrade Package action from AC.  Result - version 5.8.3 was operational.  Also all insteon devices were also operational along with Z-wave devices.  Good news was short lived!

5.  After makeing a few program updates, Ithe system became unresponsive to all Z-wave devices and there was a message under the Z-Wave portion of the AC stating "Z-matter unresponsive. " Prior this time I could log into the AC using the LAN.

6.  Decided to do a reboot from the AC.  Upon completion of Reboot, the IoX launcher could not find the Polisy and the URL shown was all zeroes.

7.  Tried a Power off / on cycle - No improvement.

8.  Access to Polisy is available by Cloud AC.  But not functionality for any devices.  Tried another Upgrade package by Cloud AC - no improvement.

So the Poisy system and all programs is essentially totally non-functional.  How can I recover the Poisy and its programs to its correct operating state? The policy has lost its ability to establish a DHCP address and only has access from Cloud AC.  

Any help will be much appreciated.

In the admin console, If you click on Help | About, what firmware and UI versions are shown?

It sounds like your UI version may be incorrect. Clear your Java cache, be sure to check all 3 boxes which will delete the admin console icon from your desktop, then download the IoX Launcher from here:

https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp

If you're still have issues then remove power frrom the Polisy for about 30 seconds, then power it back up.

So the Poisy system and all programs is essentially totally non-functional.  How can I recover the Poisy and its programs to its correct operating state? The policy has lost its ability to establish a DHCP address and only has access from Cloud AC.  

The polisy must be doing DHCP  if it could not connect to internet cloud would not work

Posted (edited)

Hello Techman,

I cleared cache and performed the power off on cycle.  But no improvement to normal operations!  I recall the last time I saw the AC info the Firmware and UI were both showing version 5.8.3.  Also, when I resolved the macOS security issue with opening a app from an unidentified developer, the opening dialog became "Unable to launch application" with a detailed dialog I could not copy.

Hello bgrubb1,

The configuration page for the network shows all zeros or blank fields with DHCP checked.  When I did get the AC to open, the iP address was all zeros and not the normal IP associated with the Polisy.  But iCloud access was still possible to get a AC display with no device functionality (Z-wave or Insteon)

Any other ideas?

Edited by CMortimer

I have  read the thread with interest.  However, this was written two years ago and now my macOS is Sonoma version 14.4.1. Many of the security provisions have changed  since 2022.  

I can down load thé applet start.jnip .  But when I run it I have to give permission to macOS to bypass security provisions to allow it to run.  It appears that every time I try to run start.jnip it results in the message "Unable to launch application." Clearing cache does not seem to make any difference.  

It's puzzling because I am still getting some notification messages from the Polisy but with zero values for items like temperature and humidity.  So it is sort of alive but not to useful.

Am I faced with a total reset where the programs will be lost and the Polisy with Z-matter would have to be reinstalled once again?

Help.

I think your issue is related to the MAC security blocking the IoX Launcher. I'm a windows person, hopefully a MAC forum user can better address your dilemma. You can also try the suggestions below.

Java applications are blocked by your security settings

• Close all your browsers
  • Go to System Preferences | Java to get to Java Control Panel
  • Click on Delete Files and make sure you check Applications
  • Click on the Settings Button
  • Make sure Keep temporary files on my computer is checked
  • Click on the Security tab on the top
  • Click on Restore Security Prompts and then click on Restore All button on the ensuing dialog
  • Click on the Edit Site List
  • Click on the Add button
  • Enter https://isy.universal-devices.com followed by hitting the Return key on the keyboard. Accept the warning
  • Click on the OK button
Posted (edited)

I didn't explicitly import the certificate, so I think it happens when you first run the start.jnlp and get a Mac OS warning that the app developer is unknown. Here is how to override the warning and complete the install:

I'm on Mac OS Sonoma 14.5. The 'Privacy & Security' setting to allow identified developers looks like this (it may look a little different if you're on a different OS version, but the selection is in there somewhere). Since UDI is not identified, maybe this doesn't matter so much, but I select it anyway:

image.png.90b270d6e34f1ee14f253d56178c89d2.png

Now, when you double-click the start.jnlp file, you should get this popup:

image.png.4de22695d1e83e490af2171b3fcf8a22.png

Select OK, then open Privacy & Security settings again and notice that "start.jnlp" was blocked. Select 'Open Anyway' to install Launcher:

image.thumb.png.2de65268776ee3cef6eeeafff342f229.png

I think this process installs their app signing certificate. Since you said earlier that you don't see this certificate as being installed, then I'm assuming that you've never successfully installed that Launcher.

Edited by Hoosier Daddy
Clarification
  • Like 1

Thank you Hoosier Daddy,

I am running macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 and can replicate the screen images you have shown me.  However, at the end of the start.jnip process i still cannot see any license information.  It also seems to make a difference as to where I run the start.jnip app.  After downloading i can get the process images shown if i run it directly from the download folder.  However, if I move it to a folder or to the desktop it does not open and results in another not allowed to run dialog box.

On the other matters, I will be requesting a ticket to resolve my access to the Polisy with Z-Matter.

Yes, I was aware of this clickable button.  However, even if it did all the start.jnip to run, it sis not create any licensing information.

I am now working a ticket on the bigger issue of recovering my Polisy capability.