Having trouble adding Insteon hidden door sensor

armymutt

Posted (edited)

I'm trying to add an Insteon Hidden Door Sensor (2845-222) to ISY via the admin console.  I put in the address and device type.  Screen tells me to push the set button until the green light flashes.  I do that and start the linking.  I get an error saying Cannot determine Insteon Engine.  

EDIT: Ok, moving it up closer to the PolISY and PLM got it added.  However, it doesn't seem to be working in the program when installed at the garage door.  I created a program so that when the sensor is activated - door open - it turns on the lights in the garage for 10 minutes then turns them off.  At least that's what I hope I wrote.  It worked in my office.  Range problem?  I put an Insteon Range Extender in the garage 5 feet from the door.  Didn't seem to help.  Couldn't add it to ISY.  Other options for door sensors?  Don't really want to move the PolISY and PLM.

Picture1.jpg

Edited by armymutt
Got it added.

It does sound like a range issue, interference, power line noise. As it worked in the office and could be added closer to the PLM. That is probably the device receiving and sending the sensors RF signals.

You are having problems adding the sensor not trying to add the range extender. That I believe is not possible to add the the system.

If  you have an LED type light in the opener try temporarily removing it. I have seen report of some causing problems. If you unplug the opener itself. Can you then talk to the sensor? I have seen some openers electronics. Reported to cause issue and having to be on a FilterLinc to isolate it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The range extender cannot be added to the isy. A few other things to try.

• Move the range extender to other outlets there if any and retest
  • Temporarily replace the range extender with a lamp or appliance module and retest. They also function as i2 range extenders
Edited by paulbates
  • Like 1

Apparently marinating overnight seems to have done something.  I left it in place and went to bed.  Woke up this morning, opened the garage door to start working on it and the lights came on.  

• Like 1

You may have an intermittent power line noise or signal sucker issue.

The range extender or any other dual band module. Will receive the sensors RF signals and pass them on over the power lines back to the main setup. If the sensors RF signal is not getting back to the main setup alone.

If it starts again. Try and make a note of what maybe running when the issue stares again.

• Like 1