Smartenit EZIO4O Base PLM Info

n_sievers

I recently had what I finally determined to be a failure of the PLM on my EZFlora but it didn't exhibit the usual PLM power supply failure where the LED goes out, rather it was intermittently losing communication and then finally lost full communication.  I had a few Smartenit modules EZIO2X4 and EZIO4O (5010J) so tried swapping out the PLM and found that the version used on the EZIO2X4 would not link to the EZFlora daughter board but the one from the EZIO4O successfully paired and communicated so this leads me to believe there are some differences between the PLM's used by Smartenit.  I had to cannibalize my EZIO40 in order to get my irrigation back up and running with the heat so now am left with a non-functional EZIO40.  Does anyone have any insight if something can be modified with the PLM base from the EZIO2X4 to allow it to properly pair with the EZIO4O daughter board or does anyone have a spare base PLM they would be willing to part with?

Smartenit used two different base PLM models. From what I have seen over the years.

The base 2412 PLM and the dual band 2413 PLM.  The 2413 didn't last that long as it as has the capacitor issues.

You maybe able to tell if it had the two antennas off the main board as a 2413.

The 2412 had no antennas and two large filter capacitors. The early ones where had the small link database firmware and the later the large link database firmware. Not 100% sure but that maybe a factor in your situation. I had a first released 2412 based unit with the release the magic smoke feature. That about 50% of the time smoked on a factory reset. 😀. Was replaced promptly when they where SimpleHomeNet.

The PLM that was originally on the EZFlora (about 10ish years old) is not dual band, is also not marked as to the model and is a different PCB layout than I have previously seen or recapped; pic attached. The EZIO4O that I was able to successfully use the PLM to replace the faulty one on the EZFlora was a USB 2412U but also want to clarify that the PLM from the EZIO2X4’s that I first attempted to use are the same USB 2412U and do not work with the EZFlora. There is also a small pen marking “9B” on the upper right hand corner of the label on the EZIO2X4’s so I am just making am assumption that is some indicator of the deference in the base PLM’s used?

IMG_1658.jpeg

IMG_1659.jpeg

image.jpg

I agree that it unit in the first photo. Is not one I have seen from Smartlabs. The components show it was most likely a switcher not the older linear power supply. That white silk screened open area. Maybe a unused place for something needing a metal cover for shielding.

It is either one made OEM for them by Smartlabs or was one they made in house.

It is very different from any others I have seen and even has a small hole on the opposite side of the case from the "set" and LED that has a small pushbutton on the PCB.  The PCB has "Insteon" printed on it but think you may be right in that is was something specially manufactured for Smartenit.  With that being said, it may or may not be a capacitor issue plaguing it and with no info out there on it, I may just go ahead and replace all caps with the hope in resurrecting it.

On 6/5/2024 at 1:47 PM, n_sievers said:

so this leads me to believe there are some differences between the PLM's used by Smartenit.  

Yes, there are differences between the regular Insteon PLM 2413x module and the one's used for the Smartenit products. 

The EEPROM memory chip and two supporting resistor that holds the Insteon links database are:

- located on the serial and USB daughtercard for the all the Insteon 2413/2412/2414 models

- located on the main PCB for the 2413-like models used on the Smartinit products.

If one looks at the main board of a 2413x PLM, there are some unpopulated components at U9 (24FC64) and R34/ R35 (4.7K resistors).  Those same parts are placed on the interface daughter cards for the 2413x models.  For the Smartenit versions, those EEPROM and pull-up resistors were populated on the mainboard with parts so the Smartenet daughtercard did not have to worry about that detail.  

I expect that if those parts (EEPROM and resistors) were placed on the mainboard, the transplant of a Smartenit daughtercard would operate in a donor PLM interface.

-Pinch