Plugin Node as Scene Controller?

Go to solution Solved by Goose66,

Is it possible to have a Plugin Node be the Controller of a Scene?  Maybe it's a case by case basis?  I have Bond Bridge Pro (and installed Plugin) to control a SmartWings shade.  I created a Scene with a KPL button and the shade's Node.  I was not offered the option to set the shade's Node as a Controller of the Scene, just as a Responder.  The KPL button works fine to control the shade, but if I use the Bond Bridge App to control the shade, the KPL Status does not update to reflect the current position of the shade, even though the shade's Node does update.

I do not know that plugin but can tell you it is completely case by case. 
the writer of the node needs to set it up to allow control. If done that way then yes it can be a control in a scene. 
basically just try it out to do it. If it works, great, if not you could start a conversation with the plugin writer. 

• Thanks 1
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

TLDR, this boils down to a design decision.

Nodes can both receive commands and send commands. So for, e.g., shades I would have the plugin process received DON commands to open the shades and close the shades, but the shades node would not send any commands. However, the keypad nodes in the Bond plugin send commands, e.g., DON commands, when pressed, but don't receive any commands. Generally, in my plugins, if it is a button, switch, or sensor, it will send commands and if it is a relay, dimmer, motor, etc. it will receive commands. If it is both (like an Insteon light switch) then it will both send and receive commands. There are a few exceptions: thermostats and garage door openers that are kind of both sensors and relays. In those I have to add a layer of complexity to ensure I am not sending a command back to IoX when the status change is a result of command received from IoX. The type of connection to the device (synchronous vs. async) drives how complex this actually turns out to be.

If you want to sync a KeypadLinc with your shades position, I suggest using programs with the status value, much like you would synching a KeypadLinc with, e.g., a FanLinc.

Edited by Goose66
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Goose66 said:

If you want to sync a KeypadLinc with your shades position, I suggest using programs with the status value, much like you would synching a KeypadLinc with, e.g., a FanLinc.

Thanks Goose.  This should work fine.