Question on 2450 Sense Input Pushbutton Programming

Robert Messenger

• 1 month later...

Problem Solved:

The momentary timer function cannot be disabled for press / hold / release (close-remained closed-then release). For instance, if you have a pool cover where you must hold the keypad button down until the cover is closed (POOL CODE) and then release to initate a instant stop, there is NO product or programming that can peform this immediate STOP function that I know of.

Here is how I solved two such installation problems:

Insteon keypads buttons work on 5VDC TTL logic. I simply soldered a wire to the C button and another to the D button of an eight button keypad. Purchase (2) Altronix RBSNTTL($15ea) relays and connected each wire to the relay inputs (-5VDC) of the soldered wires and then connected the input common to keypad common (+5VDC). Program the keypads buttons C and D to momentary to keep the lights off. Add a red and green color chip to the buttons if you'd like to step it up a knotch.

I connected one relay (NO & C) to the pool cover open circuit and the other relay (NO & C) to the pool cover close circuit. My eight button keypad now controls the Jandy RS232 pool controller (heat-pump-bubbler-waterfall) by a 2410S and the C and D buttons open and close the cover.

I also purchased a FLIP/FLOP($23) from MCM Electronics and used a Nutone doorbell button to turn "ON" and "OFF" a light with a momentary push. There was no room for an electrical wire and one gang box to meet the NEC code where a light switch must be within 5 feet of a door. All you need to do is connect the button to the flip/flop input and output to the 2450I/O sense and grd. Using the 2450I/O addr, create a (IF-THEN) program to turn the light on and off. The flip/flop can also be programmed for two buttons where button 1 is always for open and button 2 is always for close (such as with an Industrial Overhead Door).

Universal-Devices and Insteon Products work great. I just finished an installation with 200+ devices, (3) ISYs, (24) keypads in three remote buildings at one site that even has a remote boat dock. All of the devices communicate and work great. Building to building communication is awesome. Universal-Devices and Insteon are King!

If anybody wants more info on where to connect and solder wires PM me. I have PC board photos and solder points for each button. This alteration voids all product warranties but can solve a install problem.

Archived