Scenes same as manual linking?

markgam

Yes and no. When you manually link the process creates a link record in the controller and the responder devices. Of course you can add additional responders one at a time but each manual operation is still writing a link record in the controller and a responder device. The same thing is done under the ISY. However, more complex relationships can be established such as cross linking devices simply by defining both devices as controllers. The ISY automatically writes the controller to responder device links between the two devices. You can do the same thing with manual linking, just much easier to define through the ISY. Also the ISY automatically adds the ISY PLM to the Scene so that it can be controlled from the ISY.

There are only two types of active link records. A "Controller of" link record in the controller device and a "Responder to" link record in the responder device. Same type of link records are written whether done manually or through the ISY. Same number of link records whether done manually or through the ISY assuming you manually establish the same relationships the ISY does automatically.

Thanks, so if I wanted to control two ToggleLinc relays from two different Keypads, then I should set the scene up as follows:

ToggleLinc 1 - Responder

ToggleLinc 2 - Responder

KeypadLinc 1 - Button B - Controller

KeypadLinc 2 - Button B - Controller

or do I need two different scenes with each KeypadLinc designated as the controller?

Also, do I need to create a program to "turn on" the button B light for each KeypadLinc whenever ToggleLinc 1 or 2 is manually switched on or should I just added them all as controllers?

Still trying to wrap my head around this so here is my latest question, is an ISY Scene the same as manually linking two or more insteon devices?

If I were forced to give a one-word answer, it would be yes. Keep in mind, however, that when done with the ISY, you are including the ISY/PLM as a controller in the scene. If you manually link two insteon devices, the ISY is not included and the scene could not be used in programs, won't show up in your lists, and may show up as a mismatch in link tables between the device and ISY.

There is another thing to remember. When manually linking, you start by putting the controller device in linking mode then adding the responder. If you want multiple controllers, you have to be sure to add the other controllers as a responder (where LeeG and insteon manuals refer to this as cross-linking).

When done with the ISY, all devices defined as controllers in the scene are also responders by default. No cross-linking necessary.

Thanks, so if I wanted to control two ToggleLinc relays from two different Keypads, then I should set the scene up as follows:

ToggleLinc 1 - Responder

ToggleLinc 2 - Responder

KeypadLinc 1 - Button B - Controller

KeypadLinc 2 - Button B - Controller

If you create a scene on the ISY as you describe, there is no need to set up any additional scenes. Because controllers in a scene are also responders, TL1, TL2, and KP2 would be responders to KP1. TL1, TLs and KP1 are responders to KP2. Individually turning TL1 or TL2 on or off will have no effect on any of the other devices within the scene.

I make the following assumptions. You want any of the four devices to be able to turn On/Off the load and all status LEDs on the ToggleLincs and KPL button LEDs should stay in sync.

If this is correct define one ISY Scene with all four devices as Controllers. The ISY will write all the necessary links to cross link the four devices so that any device can control the load and all the LEDs will turn On/Off together.

If that was not the right assumption about the relationship between the devices expand on that aspect which will likely change the number of ISY Scenes.

Also, do I need to create a program to "turn on" the button B light for each KeypadLinc whenever ToggleLinc 1 or 2 is manually switched on or should I just added them all as controllers?

If you want to be able to turn on TL1 independent of TL2, and have the KPL buttons illuminate (turn on) when either is on, then I believe a program is your best option. I have such a program. It looks something like:

if 
status switch A is not off
or status switch B is not off

then
set KPL button on

else
set KPL button off

I think there would be some potential inconsistencies if attempting to do this with scenes.

If you want TL2 to come on when TL1 is toggled (and vice versa, plus KPL buttons) then set all four as controllers in a single scene.

Thanks guys!

Basically here is what I looking to do. I want to know if someone turns on any light on our first floor and indicate it on all of our keypads so that I can press the KP button and turn off all of the lights from the KP. This way I can look at the KP in our bedroom and know if there are any lights still on down stairs.

So I am looking for the proper way to code this either by using a scene and/or programs.

Also, if a switch in a controller in two different scenes, are these two scenes now joined together?

Then I would do the following:

1. create a scene where all the lights you are interested in tracking are responders, and all the KPL buttons that are to display the status (and turn them off) are controllers.

2. put the KPL buttons in non-toggle off mode, so that a button press will send only off commands.

3. If you have multiple KPL buttons you wish to use to display status, create a second scene with all KPL buttons as responders only

if 

status switch A is not off
or status switch B is not off
or status switch N is not off

then 
set KPL button display status scene on

else
set KPL button display status scene off

of course, device names would be consistent with your actual devices and scenes.

Also, if a switch in a controller in two different scenes, are these two scenes now joined together?

The ISY will not allow you to put a single device as controller in more than one scene. There is also no way to do this manually.

Archived