Do Access Points need to be linked

ricksaust

Just a couple quick questions:

Do access points need to be linked to the isy some how?

Is there any advantage in having more than 2 access points?

The reason I ask is that it seems like all of my switches are very reliable never miss a beat(for example 2ways 3ways 4ways). But that my programs running on the isy are kind of hit and miss. For example sometimes when I turn on a switch that would start a program I will have to turn it on a few times before the isy catches it and runs the program.

Thanks,

Mike

Rick,

You don't need to link the Access Points (AP) to the ISY but you do need to link them together.

From the Smart Home website:

The INSTEON Access Point (& Wireless Phase Coupler) creates your dual-mesh INSTEON network by simultaneously transmitting and receiving INSTEON commands across both radio frequency and your home's existing wiring. When used as a pair, the Access Points also couple the two different electrical phases of your home. Each Access Point also repeats INSTEON commands, adding to the network's robust reliability. Please Note: Access Points repeat INSTEON signals and not X10.

The AP basically are used to repeat the Insteon commands across the different electrical branches in your house. You can however add as many AP as you wish as this will tend to increase the coverage of you Insteon Network.

I hope this helps.

I do have the ap's linked to each other. If I was to get more do they have to some how all link together or basically just need the two linked?

I am just trying to be able to get my programs on the Isy to run more consistent like the (2way, 3way, 4way) switches work. So just looking for something that might help.

In addition to the AP's each Insteon device that you add acts as a repeater in addition to it's intended function. Are you having problem with problems controlling devices furtherest away from your PLM? Other things to look at is that you may have conflicting programs (ie one program turns on a light while another turns off the same light).

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the controls that are giving you issues?

The Set button procedure described in the Access Point Quick Start Guide is mandatory to insure that the Access Points are being powered from opposite 120V legs. The process does NOT actually link the Access Points to each other as when you link one Insteon device to another.

When device to device communication is reliable but PLM to device communication is not, a suspect is the power supply of the PC/UPS that is often powered from the same circuit as the PLM plug point. A simple test to determine if this is a problem is to plug the PLM into a good 3 wire extension cord and plug the extension cord into circuit away from the PC/UPS. If this improves PLM to device communication, installing a Smarthome FilterLinc between the PC/UPS and outlet usually resolves the problem. Power supplies in PCs and particularly UPS devices are so good at removing noise on the powerline that they tend to attenuate (reduce) the level of the Insteon powerline signal to the point of being unreliable.

Archived