Programming Standards Question

Steigs

Hi All,

I'm a newcomer to ISY/Insteon but so far I've managed to install 6 devices, set them up and have them all play nice. I'm very excited for future potential as I slowly replace standard switches throughout the house with controllers. (Although I'm somewhat despondent at the prospect of what I'll end up spending... :) )

I was setting up a keypadlinc button to show status of, and control, my garage door and realized I needed to integrate a 'status' scene to have it work correctly.

It occurred to me that my pool controller would need the same type of architecture to be controlled from one of these switches as well. Although currently all my pool related programs simply address the load controller itself, not as a part of a 'pool' scene.

So my question is, in the interest of establishing some standards and keeping my programming simple, clean and functional, am I better off setting up these types of devices as scenes and only addressing them that way or should I leave my programs to directly address the device and just use 'scene control' for linking to controllers? As the system grows, will I be kicking myself over extra work to have everything update correctly?

I'm curious to what others have done as I'd like to pick the best convention now as opposed to when I have many more devices in the system.

Hi Steigs,

(Although I'm somewhat despondent at the prospect of what I'll end up spending... Smile )

It is an enigma for all of us. I can only suggest to start slow and see how well it works for you.

My first consideration is safety. We get notifications of activity and have the lights turn on automatically.

So my question is, in the interest of establishing some standards and keeping my programming simple, clean and functional, am I better off setting up these types of devices as scenes

Definitely scenes.

Garage door: ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Garage_Door_Kit

Rand

Archived