KPL Load Button Monitoring

IndyMike

Hello,

After reading numerous posts on the subject, I arrived at the understanding that a Load connected KPL button could not be monitored unless it was also a controller of a scene. My KPL is direct connected to my family room wall lamps. I have no other scenes that I wanted it to control. I just wanted to monitor it's status.

I run a trigger on the status of all of my first floor lamps. If any member of my 1st floor scene is on (including the KPL Load) I want to light a secondary button on the KPL. It really frustrated me that I couldn't do this (monitor) with the KPL load button.

My work around was to grab an ApplianceLinc that I wasn't using, plug it in with no load, and create a scene with my KPL load button. Not the most efficient use of hardware but it works.

Life is good.

Last night I came up short on Appliance Modules for Christmas lighting. I was forced to remove my Appliancelinc from the KPL Load scene and move it elsewhere.

Here's the rub - The ISY can still monitor the status of my KPL Load button. It's no longer the controller of a scene, but the ISY still hears it.

Life is good, but I don't understand why!

Here's my synopsis -

1) A KPL load button does not transmit unless it's the controller of a scene. As a result, the ISY can't normally monitor it's status because it doesn't transmit a local on/off.

2) By adding the dummy ApplianceLinc scene (with the KPL Load button as a controller), I forced a link that the ISY could monitor.

3) When I deleted the above scene, the KPL Load button should have reverted back to being "mute" when I activate it locally. How can the ISY still monitor it?

Feature, KPL Bug or other?

Thanks,

IndyMike

Maybe someone else can chime in, but I believe this is incorrect.

I don't think there's an issue with the ISY knowing the status of a KPL load button (unless something is wrong).

You cannot, however, control a secondary KPL button from within the ISY unless it is a member of a scene. You must make it a member of a scene, and control the scene instead.

However, now that I'm creating more complex ISY programs that depend on the ISY knowing the status of many switches accurately, I have been having issues where I'm finding switches that are not correctly getting their status updated (plus other random KPL programming issues that I suspect are somehow related).

In general, my solution has been to remove the device from the ISY, factory reset it, and re-add it. Not a good way to troubleshoot, but it seems to get the job done when I need a quick fix.

My guess is that if you had removed the KPL from the ISY, re-added it and recreated your links it would have started reporting its status.

All that being said, I don't have any KPL loads that aren't members of scenes, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

MikeB,

Maybe I missed something very basic here.

I have 3 Keypadlincs. All were linked to the PLM/ISY via tap linking. The KPL in question is the only unit where the primary button is connected to a load (not a scene controller). I've never been able to monitor the status of this button, until I added it as a controller of a scene for the dummy AppliaceLinc.

Did my KPL simply loose the link to PLM (sometime very early on in my playing).

OK,

I'm wiping some serious egg of my face right now.

I just pulled a 4th KPL out of it's box, wired it to a power cord and Tap linked it to the ISY/PLM. No problems-all button changes are recognized by the ISY.

Presumably my other KPL dumped it's link table at some point and lost the link to the PLM.

Instead of trying a "restore device", I assumed the KPL was different and went for the workaround.

Thanks for getting me back on the path.

Archived