VT 1800 installation question

My current Thermostats has the following wiring.

G, RC, RH, Y/O, W/B ,Y1 (Y/O is not used)

The thermostats are all battery powered. I have a light switches beneath each thermostat. Can I run a Neutral wire from the light switch box and use the VT 1700, or 1800? to replace my current battery operated thermostats?

Thanks

If you are asking about the Venstar thermostat, they are not powered from 120V AC. They take 24V AC from the unit they are controlling. There is a Thermostat category on the Smarthome forum that has good information on the wiring aspects of the Venstar units.

You are going to have to get the 24 volts AC common from the control end of the thermostat wiring to the thermostat itself.

Do you have an extra wire in the harness from the thermostat to the control end of the cable?

I agree with LeeG. The Smarthome forums have many who have installed the T1800s and will be a big help.

douyon

No problem with the post. Perhaps someone using the ISY knows the details of connecting the Venstar thermostat to the furnace/AC. From watching the Smarthome forum many users have gotten specific answers to those type of questions. That wiring has nothing to do with the way the Thermostat adaptor interfaces with the thermostat or how ISY interfaces with the thermostat adaptor so user knowledge on this forum is likely less than will be found on the Smarthome forum. Would be the same when looking for “how to†questions regarding wiring an Insteon switch in a 3/4/5 way or 2 wire situation. There are professional electricians, current and retired (users), that respond to questions about such topics.

Lee

douyon

Like Brian mentioned earlier, you need to bring the common from your 24 VAC transformer if you have an extra wire in your thermostat cable, otherwise Smarthome also sells an inexpensive device that will provide a common wire for this connection. If you haven't seen it already, look by your Venstar catalog page and under commonly purchased items it should be listed.

I don't think so.

You may have to use this to add power to the two wire heat only one you reported in the Smarthome Forums.

http://www.smarthome.com/30418/Thermost ... 436/p.aspx

The three wire cooling only one you reported in the Smarthome Forums.

I am not sure but I think it also may need a power kit and wire the relay of the kit in a special way.

This is the add a wire kit.

http://www.smarthome.com/304AAW/Add-A-W ... ats/p.aspx

The manual indicates it can be used to add the missing C signal with four wire systems. The three wire you have on the cooling only one may not work with the Add A Wire Kit.

I know Venstar is reported to have a very good customer service department and if you have all the data. Like connections on each. I am sure they can give you the proper information to make an informed choice.

Archived