Power line filters?

kcrossley

I am using a Smarthome 10 amp FilterLinc on my APC BX1000 UPS and a 5 amp one on my LCD TV.

The UPS is a known signal absorber and the LCD TV one was a precautionary thing. Both hold overs from my X10 days. I can't say they are definitely helping, but I would suspect they are.

I have a similar arrangement. A Smarthome FilterLinc on the UPS and other PC equipment not directly on the UPS was necessary as the UPS was absorbing Insteon signals to the point that Insteon communication to and from the various PLMs was unreliable.

Also put one on a flat screen LCD TV in the same room. The TV was causing a much smaller problem. The FilterLinc also eliminated the TV problem.

Certain cell phone chargers are well established powerline killers. You can unplug (no just turn Off) devices that you think are creating a problem. If things improve a FilterLinc will probably help.

I have my UPS, stereo equipment and flat screen all on a isolated breaker (no insteon devices) so I've never needed a filter there.

My computers don't seem to make enough noise to warrant filters.

The only time I've come accross the need for a filter was an overhead light I had in the kitchen.

It uses a 120VAC to 24VAC transformer that absolutely destoys Insteon communication when the light is on.

I use the filters referenced in this post. I use FilterLincs on the UPS', home theater equipment (all connected to a big power strip) and a couple appliances. I use the AF120's on my washer/dryer and furnace.

I had some really annoying signal reliability problems prior to installing these filters. In my case, I may have gone a bit overboard but I haven't had any problems since so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Archived