Dimmer for magentic low voltage loads

87squirrels

Is there any word on a switchlinc version that will support low voltage loads? We are remodeling our kitchen and all of the lighting will be low voltage -- halogen now, probably LED eventually. We will have 8-10 separate circuits, each requiring their own dimmer, and I'd prefer to reduce switch clutter by having a couple KPLs and mounting the actual load controlling switches out of sight (in the garage, below the kitchen). Relays will not pass the WAF (wants everything dimmable), so I will either have to put regular dimmer switches in the kitchen or switch to UPB. I have a decent investment in Insteon at this point, so I'm not keep on switching, but I have a very limiited time to finalize the wiring decisions for the kitchen.

Thanks,

-tom

The Switchlincs are only rated for incandescant loads; I've read that they may work with some transformers, but the specs for the transformers we're using specifically caution against it: "This product may be dimmed only with a low voltage magnetic dimmer. Using a dimmer not designed for low voltage magnetic applications may work initially, but will eventually cause transformer failure and will void the warranty"

• 5 weeks later...

I found this electronic transformer on-line.

http://electronictransformer.com/lvt303ac1.html

I have not ordered one yet. They advertise that you can use a "standard dimmer" Maybe this will work with normal INSTEON dimmers.

Also, I had a problems with my Insteon dimmers that control a low voltage load (on the 120 V side) beep when power is (re-) applied to the dimmer. Newer dimmers do this. They check the load when power is applied. If it doesn't like the load, it will disable the dimmer and beep. I had this happen with a 200 watt transformer load on a 600 watt dimmer.

I changed the dimmer to a 1000 watt version and the problem went away. The 1000 watt dimmer still checks the load (you can see the lights glow briefly) when power is applied, but it does not "dislike" the load.

Eddy K.

Archived