Applying changes to ramp rates and on levels

jwshome

I love the iSY-99i - I'm using it with Homeseer, and it makes using Insteon devices incredibly easy.

I am trying to figure out which settings for ramp rates apply to which situations. Let's say I have a scene called "Family room", which turns on all the lights in the room, one of which is "Lamp 1". The scene is controlled by 'Button 1' on a keypad.

In the administrative console, on the tree on the left of the screen, the scene is listed, and underneath the scene are the different devices associated with the scene, like this:

Family room scene

--- Lamp 1

--- Other devices in the scene

--- Button 1

I can see three different places in the scene where the ramp rate for 'Lamp 1' is shown:

1. - When I select (click on) 'Family room scene' the console lists the ramp rates for all the devices in the scene. The ramp rate for 'Lamp 1' is 0.5 seconds.

• - When I select 'Lamp 1', within the scene, the console lists the ramp rate for 'Lamp 1' only, with the designation '[Applied locally]'. the ramp rate is 0.5 seconds.

• - When I select 'Button 1' within the scene, the console lists the ramp rates for all the devices in the scene. The ramp rate for 'Lamp 1' is 0.1 seconds.

I think I understand that the second example indicates that if I turn the lamp on locally, the ramp rate is going to be 0.5 seconds. But I am unclear what the ramp rate is if I trigger the scene from Button 1 - is it 0.1 seconds or 0.5 seconds? I suspect it is 0.1 seconds; and that if I trigger the scene from the iSY itself the ramp rate is 0.5 seconds. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help ...

jwshome

You are correct on all points. The Local values shown when the Lamp 1 s selected apply when the device is controlled by the device itself (thus Local designation). It is the values the device documentation refers to a Local settings.

With Insteon every Controller of a Scene has a unique Responder link record in each Responder device. It is these Responder link records that contain the Bright Level and Ramp Rate in effect when that particular Controller operates the Scene. Thus a potentially different set of values is displayed and saved for each Responder based on the Controller selected.

When you click on the Scene name, that represents the ISY (actually PLM) as the Controller. Whenever the ISY, either through the Admin Console or through a Program turn On the Scene, these Bright Level and Ramp Rate values apply.

When you click on the KeypadLinc button, that represents the KPL button as the Controller. Whenever the KPL button is pressed, these Bright Level and Ramp Rate values apply.

Hope this helps.

Lee

Archived