EZIO2x4 (and IOLinc) on power cycle

oskrypuch

It looks like the EZIO does not preserve its output relays states after a power failure. Once power is restored both come on as OFF, although the ISY is unaware of that, until it does a query I suppose.

Is this expected behavior?

What about the simpler 2450, does it preserve its output relay state across a power cycle?

* Orest

My I/O Linc does not maintain a Relay On state across a power cycle. Tried it three times. Each time the Relay is Off after a power cycle. The ISY would not be aware of this until a Query because the device does not present status when it powers up.

Have not tested any of my EZIO2X4s but expect the same result.

EDIT: same result with one of my EZIO2X4s. All Relays are Off sfter a power cycle.

Lee

I noticed the same thing using an IOLinc. If the power goes off, then the garage door will open when power is restored if the door is closed before an outage. Not acceptable.

The relay must be set to an ON state temporarily for the IOLinc to toggle. What exactly happens when power is restored? What is the workaround to prevent this from happening when the ISY is restarted?

oskrypuch

My 2450 IO Linc does the same thing. The relay is Off after a power cycle regardless of the state of the Relay when power goes off.

matapan

My IO Linc Relay does not turn On during a power cycle. Tried Latching Mode and the 3 Momentary modes. I would assume the Relay turning On is the result of a Program action if the door movement is related to the IO Linc and not the door opener itself.

My garage door openers are controlled by EZIO2X4 relays which never open or close the garage doors because of a power failure.

Lee

This will need some control logic to detect a power outage, and send a new ON to relatch the relay. I will be controlling a NC (not energized, no water) main water shut off valve. The purpose is to kill the water when away, and when a leak is detected by water sensors. I prefer to use a NC water valve as a fail safe.

My ISY is on a UPS, so it will live through a power outage, and won't know. Does the 2450 present status when it boots up?

Any ideas out there?

If not, I may have to rig up a delayed latching relay to trigger something to send a signal "POWER was OFF, now it is ON".

* Orest

My ISY is on a UPS, so it will live through a power outage, and won't know. Does the 2450 present status when it boots up?

No. Insteon devices do not send messages on a power up. A house full of Insteon devices all trying to send messages when power comes back on would be near impossible to manage.

What you can do is plug a low voltage power supply into a regular outlet and attach it to the sense input on an IOLinc plugged into the same UPS as your ISY and PLM. Then you'd get an OFF signal when power went out and an ON when it was restored.

The PLM bypasses the UPS, as otherwise I think it would be blocked from reception/transmission. My ISY has a separate power supply, only the ISY is plugged into the UPS.

If the 2450 were plugged into the UPS, I wonder if its signal would reach the PLM, which is on the "other side" (the line side) of the UPS.

* Orest

• 2 years later...

Archived