Thermostat recommendation

Zellarman

My whole home is all hydronic radiant heat and I'm looking to add control to my ISY. Can anyone recommend a thermostat? Because it's radiant, and not baseboard or forced air, the thermostats utilize a floor sensor in addition to a room temperature sensor. I've been looking for a while and waiting for something to come to market, but haven't found anything yet that will definitely work with my ISY.

The closest I've seen is tekmars interface, which initially intrigued me since I already have some of their thermostats, but it doesn't work with the particular models I have, though I would consider changing them out. Now my bigger question is does anyone think this http://tekmarcontrols.com/automation.html integratable with the ISY? The webpage lists several systems that it works with, Insteon or ISY is not one of them, but it just seems to me that if it works with all these other why, or HOW not with ISY?

Brian,

I'm already using the network module and a portserver for serial communication from the ISY, so that part wouldn't be an issue. While the ISY can interface w/ serial devices, this doesn't mean it will necessarily work with the Tekmar interface (or maybe it does?) but just because the interface is serial certianly doesn't eliminate the possibility of it working. I think it might just be a matter of programming.

And I'm not locked into the Tekmar units either, just thought because I like their product line.....

I was hoping someone out there might also be able to point me in an alternative direction, I always like to have a few options to examine before making a decision.

Digi Portserver TS 16 - it along w/ a Global Cache IP2IR gives me control over my AV equipment. My ALL OFF scene also shuts off DirecTV STB's, TV's and Audio, I also have a scene that just shuts down my basement, the kids are notorious for leaving TV and lighhts on.

For what it's worth, I got mine on eBay foe under $100, of course it was a little bit of a dice roll, but it all worked out.

Wow, those are a great deal. I see a bunch of TS-8s for $50.

I thought I got a deal on a Qualtech QSE-100D (4-Port) for $30 but these Digi's are rediculously cheap.

And my Elk IP232 (1-Port) just makes me want to cry at $180 new.

• 1 year later...

Archived