Garage Door with IOlinc and existing contact feedback?

jimtxas

Hello-

I currently have a security system installed with overhead contacts installed on each garage door. I plan to setup a keypad to show the status of the door open/closed and know i can do this with the IOlinc and a identical contact on the door as i have with the security system.

Question is, instead of installing second contacts on my 4 over head doors, can i just tap into the contacts feeding my security system somehow? I'm also running the ISY99 system in my solution.

Thanks!

The IO Linc Sensor requires the IO Linc GND applied to the Sensor Input. The question cannot be answered without knowing what the existing contacts are switching for the security system.

I DO NOT recommend attempting to do what you suggest. The correct operation of all aspects of a security system is paramount. Trying to share those contacts could compromise the operation of the security system.

Bad idea to tap into the security contacts.

If you do set up a parallel system for the insteon, and use a wireless TriggerLinc, do not mount it on the door. The vibrations will cause major issues to dependability.

It can be a bit tricky getting a contact closure on the garage door, I finally got the heavy duty mag contacts that the security folks use, I expect you know exactly what they look like! I ran it to a couple of Triggerlincs as they were already there and set up, but it would be better to use an EZIO or IOLine to avoid the wireless/battery issues.

* Orest

Archived