Wireless Device that can natively work with ISY...

Kev1000000

I am trying to find some sort of device combo that will allow me to send wireless commands to the ISY via a small remote/button of some sort.

The idea is, I want to place a small button in my car to set my house to either "HOME" or "AWAY" mode. Yes, I could use my phone, but that requires me to take it out of my pocket, load the app, and then find the right buttons, etc. I want a very simple remote I an mount in my car that can talk to the ISY. I would like the range to be ~200ft ish.

So, ideally, this is how it would work.

I leave for work and press a button to set my house in away mode. The following will happen:

• [*:b0qrvd53]Garage door will close.
    [*:b0qrvd53]All lights off.
    [*:b0qrvd53]Security Cameras on.
    [*:b0qrvd53]Door will auto-lock (via MorningLinc)

When I arrive home while just pulling into my driveway, I'll set the house into "HOME" mode. The following will happen:

• [*:b0qrvd53]Garage door will open.
    [*:b0qrvd53]Entry light on.
    [*:b0qrvd53]Security Cameras off.
    [*:b0qrvd53]Door will auto-unlock (via MorningLinc)

The only missing link is the button I can mount in my car that will talk to ISY natively without having to run a separate dedicated PC.

Ideas?

The only packaged Insteon device that might fit the bill is the RemoteLinc. The size may be too large. Also the 200' range could be a problem with any of the Insteon RF devices. If handy with tools a TriggerLinc (which is small) could be connected to a small button. The enclosure for the button could be a small project box from Radio Shack. It might be possible to use a miniature button installed in the TriggerLinc case. Again, range could be a problem. Placing an Access Point in the garage might help with the range. The TriggerLinc would be easy to proto type a solution to see if the range is sufficient.

A more expensive solution but one with better range are RF devices from Dakota Alert. The Universal transmitter is about half the size of the RemoteLinc and comes with a built in button. This would require using a Dakota Alert receiver that has output relays which can be connected to an I/O Linc Sensor to bridge the gap between Dakota Alert and Insteon. I have used a Dakota Alert receiver connected to an EZIO6I for years with very reliable results. The Dakota Alert receiver has 4 channels so 4 different RF senders can be distinguished. This is an expensive solution compared to using a simple TriggerLinc.

This is one of those that I think the KISS principle applies.

Use your regular garage door opener. Add a garagelinc (I/O linc) to monitor the door. When the door opens, trigger your other scenes.

You could determine the home/away based on how the door is opened. If opened via a button in the house, then you must be leaving, set status away, if opened without a button, then you must be coming home.

Now having said that, I wish someone would create a receiver for Homelink (I think that is what it is called) that is built into most newer cars to replace garage door openers. My Honda has 3 built in buttons, I use one for the neighbor hood gate, one for the garage door, which would leave one for something else.

Kevin

Lee,

I will try out the TriggerLinc idea. I'll report back the results. Great idea!

Klundy, the reason I didn't want to go that route is, anyone could brute force the garage door open. If that happens, my scenes would fire, which includes unlocking my door to the house. If I go the wireless device route, then only that button press would fire my scenes, making it similar to a key.

Bulletproof? No. But I do feel it's a little more safe than relying simply the status of the Garage door.

Although, I do assume the Garage door I/OLinc works based off of the door sensor. Does the I/OLinc receive an event from the garage door opener, which would only fire if I pressed the garage door opener button? If so, that option may be the best. I just assumed it all worked based off of the door sensor.

Thanks for the help, guys.

I am trying to find some sort of device combo that will allow me to send wireless commands to the ISY via a small remote/button of some sort.
I have my home set up to go into AWAY mode with the touch of a button (Leave scene adds 2 min delay before checking if the door is closed). A return to HOME mode scene begins when the door opens. A security system still requires acknowledgement after door is open or broken into and I receive confirmation on my phone of these events success or failure.

This way, when I'm ten blocks from home and my wife asks me if I closed the garage door, I can say yes, the house just said I did!

I sometimes forget to punch to the button when I leave, so I use a home link button in my car that sends an x10 RF signal to set the Leave scene. That saves me having to get out of the car to go push the button.

However, taking your idea a step farther, I'd like to find a way to create a signature for my car or myself that will identify when I leave or come home. A driveway gate automatically opens when loops in the drive detect the car passing. We also had something like this at my office that used a security card in my wallet to open doors, etc.

Now that would be cool.

Now having said that, I wish someone would create a receiver for Homelink

I believe that there is a device called the "vehicle interface" that recieves commands from the vehicle and converts them to X-10. You could use this to trigger commands from the ISY-99. Unfortunately, I have no direct experience with this to offer.

The only place I recall seeing this vehicle interface is from the homelink web page. It seems to me that they don't emphasise this product, and you may have to call them to find out more about it. Hopefully, they still make it.

I know this will work. http://www.smarthome.com/4003/X10-RC6500-16-Device-X10-Base-Unit-with-Keychain-Remote-for-2-Devices/p.aspx And the transmitter and receiver are only $15 on sale!

I use a EZX10RF for my receiver. That unit is capable of receiving the X10 RF signals from the 'tweeker' and linking that signal to a scene or Insteon device.

Archived