Switchlinc controlled lites flicker

I have a program written to turn on my Switchlinc when motion is detected from a X10 motion sensor. Works as planned except while lights are on and movement is detected the lights flicker. I have the switchlinc set to ramp up to 50% and another program waits for no movement from the X10 motion detector and then starts a timer to turn the switchlinc off at a predetermined interval.

What is causing the switchlinc to flicker. I also have a Lamplinc tied in to the same program and it does NOT flicker.

Switchlinc is controlling 6 can flood lamps of 65W each. When first detecting motion the lights also flicker about 4-5 times before starting their ramp up to 50% level. I'm not sure but looks like the lights try to go to 100% and back to the 50% when the motion is detected while the lights are in the on mode.

Frank

The X10 Motion Sensors address is only triggering the event and not in the SwtchLinc Dimmer as a optional X10 Primary Address?

Do you know the hardware version of the SwitchLincs? Some where known to flicker when there was power line signals being sent.

Looks like I was receiving multiple 'ON' triggers when motion was detected with the X10 Motion Sensor. I switched to a Insteon Motion Sensor and seems to not flicker once turned on, BUT, still flickers when initially triggered. Appears to flicker about 4-5 times before ramping up to my setting of 40%.

The Insteon Motion Sensor sends 4 messages when it detects motion. The initial message normally causes the responder to react so there will be 3 additional Insteon messages on the powerline as the SwitchLinc is ramping up. Sounds like the device is sensitive to powerline traffic.

I'm noticing tonight with the Switchlinc activated from a timer program that as I walk into the room, the lights flicker 2-3 times. If it is indeed power line traffic, what is the solution? And why is the motion detector causing the lights to flicker when in a timed ON state? Also, I do not have the switchlinc set as a responder, it is controlled via a program.

I do not know the technical reason it is flickering. Anecdotal evidence suggests the flicker is associated with powerline/RF traffic occurring at the same time the SwitchLinc is Ramping. The SwitchLinc is repeating powerline traffic on RF and RF traffic on the powerline. This happens without regard to the device being a responder. Normal Dual Band device activity. That raises the possibility the RF activity is contributing to the symptom but it is only suggestive.

This is not the forum to get those answers. A call to the Smarthome Gold Line Insteon support may have the answer.

Is the load standard incandescant lights or perhaps something that could be affected by RF being placed on the Load wire do to proximity.

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it. I will be calling gold line first thing tomorow. Just seems strange I get the flicker when movement takes place within the range of the motion detector. At first I thought it may have been the X10, but turns out the Insteon does the exact same thing. Appears the switchlinc responds to any movement from the motion detector with a 4-5 times flicker, even at start up from an off condition.

Archived