Detecting Power Outage

bbconvert

My ISY (and all of the routers and switches) are connected to a UPS. How could I use Insteon devices and write a simple program on the ISY to detect a power outage (on each one of the split phases) and email me?

I attempted to use ApplianceLincs to detect the power failure (if appliancelinc is off then set appliancelinc on and send notifications) but this will send email only when power is restored (and I need to run a periodic query otherwise ISY will not know appliancelinc is off)

Any suggestions? Thanks much.

Hello,

Using only Insteon I am not sure there would be a reliable way of conveying power loss to the ISY. Someone else may have an idea or has done it but I sure could think of a way to do it.

I am currently using a low voltage transformer (an old Nokia 3v xfmr for cell phone) and a resistor voltage divider to one of the analog inputs of the CAI Webcontrol control board and WCLink software which updates a variable with the line voltage. I have an email sent when the AC Mains voltage is out or low or high as well as when it has been restored to normal. It hasn’t been in place very long but it has been working fine thru all of my tests.

Tim

One suggestion might be two Triggerlincs (each within RF range of a dual band PLM/ device or access point powered by your UPS).

The ext. input of each triggerlinc is feed by the contacts of a 120Vac coil relay (one relay coil powered by each leg/phase). When power goes out the triggerlinc changes states and triggers a program??

Here's a way that I know works within certain limits.

Using an iMeter Solo, plug it in to an outlet that is not on UPS and not Insteon controlled. Plug in a device that does NOT remain at a constant power draw and remains "on" at all times, i.e. typically some kind of electronic device. Computers work well; I have a laptop plugged in to mine. Even a low power device will work fine so long as it does not remain at a constant level as measured by the iMeter. That includes not remaining at a level of "0", too.

Use the following program. Make sure it is enabled and ALSO enable it to run at startup.

Program: Query iMeter for Power Outage

If
       Status  '.Unassigned Devices / Spare iMeter Solo 1' > -1 Watts

Then
       Repeat 30 times
          Wait  15 seconds
          Set '.Unassigned Devices / Spare iMeter Solo 1' Query
       Repeat 1 times
          Send Notification to 'System Admins' content 'Possible Power Outage'
          Run Program 'Query iMeter for Power Outage' (If)

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The program constantly queries the iMeter. In my case it I have it loop 30 times with a 15 second delay between each time. This means that in the case of a power outage I will be notified after the power has remained off for 30 x 15 seconds = 450 seconds = 7.5 minutes. If you need to be notified faster, reduce the number of times the program loops. You can also reduce the wait time but keep in mind that increases the amount of traffic as well as amount of time the ISY is spending trying to get the iMeter to respond.

Based on the IF clause what happens is that as long as the amount of power that is being pulled through the iMeter changes during that 7.5 minutes the program restarts itself. That effectively makes a never-ending loop UNLESS the power fails, at which point 7.5 minutes later it will send me an e-mail that the power has failed. I also have the program restart itself after sending the e-mail to make sure it continues to attempt polling when the power returns or in case of a false positive.

Depending on how frequently the device that you have plugged in changes the amount of power that it draws, the smaller a number you can make the number of loops. Just keep in mind that amount of power must change some time during the loop x wait time-period or you will receive false positive notifications.

Hope that helps.

Archived