Google TV, Roku and ISY

kurelgyer

I am but a meager user and have no programming experience.

I have both a Roku DVP and Logitech Revue with Google TV.

Both boxes can be controlled over my home network from apps on my Android phone.

Would it be possible for the ISY to send commands over the network to control these boxes? I know it would be blind, one way communication. In the Revue's case, it can turn the TV on and off, control volume, change channels, etc. I think there could be some interesting uses!

There are other Android apps that act as remote controls for PC's also. A small server program is installed on the PC to allow network control.

I own the revue and ISY, but not a Roku. For meager users such as you and I, I don't believe there is any capability for the ISY-99 to send commands directly to either. There may exist options through the ISY-99 network module, but this goes beyond the capability of meager users, as far as I am concerned.

If you are willing to fool around with IR, I would expect to be able to achieve some level of coummunication between these devices using IR. I don't recall the level of IR capability in the revue, but you could, concievably, use the smarthome IRlinc transmitter to send commands to the revue and roku.

I can't specifically say whether what you want is possible or not, since I have neither Roku nor Google TV. But, I do control my TV's, WHA system, and DirecTV boxes with my ISY, all control is handled via the network module, and it works great. Control is handled via three different types of communication, TV's via IR, WHA receiver via RS-232 (serial), and DirecTV boxes via IP, so that being said, there's many avenues of control available, one of which someone could assume would be capable of communicating with the subject devices. In addition to needing the network add-on mudule for the ISY, you'll need hardware for IR or serial communication, Global Cache makes devices for both, but if you're looking to control more than one device with serial, I'd suggest trying to pick up a used portserver on eBay.