Creating a Thermostat Schedule?

barkster

If found one post http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Create_a_Thermostat_Program here on creating schedules for thermostat and when I started to program the first thing I want to do is have a boolean to check if on vacation or away. I'd like to have a boolean that I can set true/false when I am away but when I went to variable and add it wouldn't accept 0 or false etc for values... How do you create variables? This is the start of what I'm trying to do

if status is cool then

If away is true then

- set temp to 78

else

- gets crazy here...

end if

if status is heat then

if away is true then

- set temp to 68

else

- more crazy stuff here...

end if

Tagging for responses...

But that sounds more complex than a simple schedule.

I'd do this:

Set up a periodic query for the thermostats, then use the thermostat's temperature reading in your 'if' statement. You can use < or >. I set up a program that turns on the ceiling fan in my upstairs livingroom if the temperature is over 75F using that type of thing.

"How do you create variables?"

Under the Programs | Variables tab select type of Variable, Integer or State, enter

Name

Init - numeric value - 0 is valid

Value - numeric value - 0 is valid

click Add

Integer and State variables contain numeric values. The word False would not be valid. State variables will trigger Programs when the value changes. Integer variables do not trigger Programs when the value changes.

This link will take you to the discussion of Variables - viewforum.php?f=68

Thank you for the reply, I didn't notice the named tabs which got me confused. That worked fine. Is there a way to set the variable remotely mobilinc? I'd like to set my thermostat to vacation mode before I leave but be able to turn off vacation mode remotely? Is there a way to accomplish this? Thanks!

• 3 months later...

what would be the best way to create a schedule like this? Can someone help me get started in right direction? Thanks

if status cool then

M-F

7:30am - 4:00pm = 76degrees

4:00pm - 7:30am = 72 degrees

Sat-Sun = 72 degrees

if status heat then

M-F

7:30am - 4:00pm = 68 degrees

4:00pm - 9:00pm = 72 degrees

9:00pm - 7:30am = 70 degrees

Sat-Sun

7:30 - 9:00pm = 72 degrees

9:00pm - 7:30am = 70degrees

Ok wasn't as bad as I thought once I changed to auto instead of setting mode manually. I had a thermostat once before that was to automatically set temps but never seemed to work right so we'll see about this one. Two questions

1. When I create a program that sets a variable like this

--Vacation True Program--

if

then

Vacation_Mode = 1

Run Program 'Vacation Mode' (if)

else

--Vacation False Program--

if

then

Vacation_Mode = 0

else

the status in mobilinc always says true once run, should that matter or should I worry about that

2. I created a program that sets the temp like this

---Cool Program---

if

$vacation is 0

and On mon,tue,wed,thu, fri

From 7:30AM

To 4:00pm

Then

set 'therm' mode auto

set 'therm' 76 cool setpooint

set 'therm' 68 heat setpoint

---Vacation Mode Program---

if

$vacation = 1

then

set 'therm' mode auto

set 'therm' 78 cool setpooint

set 'therm' 66 heat setpoint

else

-no actions

if I run my program Vacation True everything works fine but if I run Vacation False the thermostat does not go back to proper temp which should be set by program Cool, when do the programs run checks if true? Is there something I need to run after set variable back to 0 to make all the programs check for conditions again?

Sounds like the variable being used is an Integer variable which does not trigger a Program when the value changes. Does not affect the Cool Program as it is triggered on a time basis. The Vacation Mode Program has only one thing in the IF which is the check of the variable value. The variable must be a State variable for that Program to be triggered when the value in the variable changes.

The Status of a Program True or False indicates whether the Then clause or the Else clause last ran. Since the two programs that set the variable values have no If section only the Then clause will ever run with the result of True Status unless the Else clause is explicitly told to run.

With the latest version of MobiLinc you don't need Vacation programs to set the variable, MobiLinc lets you access the variables directly from the programs page.

If you drag your thermostat node into a scene you'll be able to set the mode, cool setpoint and heat setpoint for that scene. Then you only need one line:

Set Scene On - This will setup the mode, cool setpoint and heat setpoint in one command. Set up more scenes the same way for different setpoints. Much more efficient.

Thanks, the ones with only the then statement were used to set the variable but now that mobilic supports variables I really don't need them. Looks like changing from integer variable to state fixed it.

What's the advantage of creating a scene for the different thermostat settings if they are only needed one time. Really seems like extra work to me if don't use or call from multiple programs. Please explain. Thanks

Oh ok, I've never used scenes before but just looks like it makes it easier to program. Ok but wait I must no know how to make scenes, I drug thermostat down into 4 different scenes and when I change the setting on the thermostat in one scene it changes it on all my scenes? What am I missing, off to read

Ok I was clicking on the thermostat and your supposed to make changes to the scene node only... much easier thanks for all the help guys

• 8 months later...

I had a question about my thermostat and using it in auto mode. From what I read everyone says to use the thermostat in auto mode so I have been but I was setting a scene up where the heat setpoint and cool setpoint were almost the same and I heard to keep two degrees difference but in my case I want them to be exact or actually cool lower that heat but now that it is cold what will happen if I set my heat setpoint to 74 and my cool setpoint to 72. Will heat come on and then once gets to 74 it will turn the cool on? Should I handle this? Seems like even if I could take out of auto but would have create way more scenes for winter and summer??

Archived