Wiring a simple door contact to a EZIO6I

sectechie

Good Morning Everyone! Looks like its gonna be a great Saturday here in Southern Md, definitely not winter here!

I am trying to hook up a EZIO6I to a set of Door Contacts, can someone walk me through this? I'm confused with the Digital/ Analog Inputs. All I want this thing to do is let me know when a door is opened or closed. After doing some reading it looks like I will have to have power on 2 of the contacts?

I want to montior 5 doors (exterior doors on my house).

Thanks in advance for your help! Have a great day!

Ed

The EZIO6I has six inputs. Four Optoisolated and two digital or analog.

The four Optoisoleted Inputs I1,I2,I3 and I4.

You can connect I1+, I2+, I3+ and I4+ to the +12 volt terminal of the unit.

Then connect a switch to I1- or I2- or I3- or I4- and using the common ground terminal for all four inputs.

I5 and I6 the Digital ones are a different setup and can't be used over +5 volts.

For those you are going to need a 5 volt source or make a small regulator circuit to generate the 5 volts from the modules 12 volts.

Then add a pull up resistor from the +5 volts to I5 and one to I6.

Connecting a switch to I5 and I6 and ground.

I would use a 1000 Ohm to 10,000 Ohm 1/4 watt resistor for each pull up.

The switch on I5 or I6 grounds the terminal through the pull up resistor to safely limit the current and change the level on the terminal from +5 volts to close to 0 volts.

sectechie

The first four Opto-Isolated Inputs are wired the same way.

Connect I1+ to 12v

Connect I1- through door switch to GND

When the contact is closed GND is applied to Input 1 which will turn it ON. Depending on whether using a NO or NC contact ON will indicate door open or door closed.

The next three contacts will connect to I2,I3,I4 in the same way.

The fifth is more complex. It will use !5/Anolog1. This input operates in digital mode by default (like I1,I2,I3,I4). However, it requires a 1/4 watt or 1/2 watt 10K resister from I5/AN1 to a +5V DC supply. Since the EZIO6I only has 12V DC a fixed 5V supply has to be constructed. Radio Shack has a simple 5V power supply chip for a few dollars. Connect door 5 contact between GND and I5/AN1. The resister used on I5/AN1 is known as a pull up resister. It applies +5V DC to I5/AN1 when the door contact is open turning the Input OFF. When the door contact is closed GND is applied and the input turns ON.

THIS IS IMPORTANT. Until I5/AN1 is used and I6/AN2 always must be connected to GND to keep them from cycling. This should be done before plugging in the EZIO6I and adding it to the ISY. Otherwise these floating Inputs can cycle On and Off causing device add problems and flooding the powerline with unwanted On/Off messages.

Lee

Archived