[CLOSED]Looking for 15-20 beta testers for MobiLinc Connect!

InsteonNut

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone who signed up and is now testing MobiLinc Connect! We have a full set of Beta testers and are no longer taking on new beta test members for MobiLinc Connect. Please check back here for the release announcement soon!

Hi all,

We are very pleased to annouce MobiLinc Connect, out No Port-Forward solution for the ISY-99i. Before we go public with our portal service we are looking for beta testers to run MobiLinc HD on their iPads, iPhones, and iPod touch devices and use MobiLinc Connect to connect with their ISY-99i.

Why would I want this?

The ISY-99i is a network device that is auto-assigned an IP address on startup or reboot and can change between power cycles. MobiLinc will find your ISY on your local LAN. But what if you what to gain easy access to your ISY outside of your home? Typicially that involves setting up your network to port-forward external requests to your ISY, setting up a static IP address for your ISY, and monitoring your ISP provided internet IP address for any changes. For most folks this is beyond their networking skillset and an easy, simple solution is needed to bring MobiLinc connectivity to the ISY anywhere in the world.

Here's how the service works:

- Your ISY-99i maintains a secure, always connected channel to our cloud servers.

- Using the MobiLinc beta, sign-up for the MobiLinc Connect service in-app.

- Once registered, MobiLinc will securly connect to our cloud servers and link up with your ISY-99i in the cloud, all without any network changes or port-forwarding.

- Use MobiLinc in or out of your home all while maintaining a constant connection to your ISY-99i.

Requirements:

- Upgrade your ISY-99i to the latest firmware release: 3.1.17

- Purchase the MobiLinc Connect Module for the ISY through the Admin console ($1.00)

Once you have the MobiLinc HD Beta installed and your ISY-99i has the MobiLinc Connect Module installed, launch MobiLinc HD.

New MobiLinc HD users:

If MobiLinc HD is a new app on your device, MobiLinc HD beta will auto-find your ISY on your local LAN and prompt you for the MobiLinc Connect service.

Existing MobiLinc HD users:

Launch MobiLinc HD beta and choose from the following options:

1. Go to My Settings->Lighting Controller->Host and tap on MobiLinc Connect to upgrade your current profile to use MobiLinc Connect.

2. Go to My Settings->Active Profile and create a new profile just for MobiLinc Connect. MobiLinc HD will prompt you to register for the MobiLinc Connect service.

Please post back any feedback to the form. Thanks for all your help!

Wes

Hi Mitch236,

It likely won't be any faster than doing a direct IP connect, but that depends on a lot of factors. There is a small speed cost to a no-portforward solution in the cloud with security. Since our solution sits on the internet backbone both the ISY and MobiLinc would have direct access to that backbone for the fastest possible access to route data. Depending on how your ISP routes MobiLinc and/or the ISY, doing a direct connect may be just as fast, faster, or slower depending on the routing that occurs. Other factors are if you are using plain-text routing to your ISY (fastest but unsecure) or if you are using a very large key strength for SSL (2048bits - slowest but more secure).

This service is targeted for those that do not want to mess with their network settings and learn all about ports and forwarding and router configurations just to use MobiLinc outside of the home.

If you'd like to give it a shot, we are still looking for additional beta testers. You can signup and register your iOS device at the top of the form post.

Wes

• 2 weeks later...

Archived