How to program

wacvmd

I need help in writing a program. I have a space heater controlled by an appliancelinc and a IOlinc controlled by a high low thermometer. If I set it up a scene the heater cycles on and off frequently. I wrote the following program:

If

Control 'Workshop Thermometer-Sensor' is switched On

Then

Set 'Workshop Heater' On

Wait 10 minutes

Set 'Workshop Heater' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The problem is if the sensor is still on after 10 minutes the program will not restart. Any suggestions to finish this would be greatly appreciated.

You should use "Status" not "control".

If it cycles too often set up 3 programs

If

Status workshop heater thermometer is below temp (on?)

Then

set workshop heater on

run program 2 then clause

Else

- -

If

- -

then

wait 10 minutes

run program 3 if clause

else

- -

***this program must be disabled****

If

status workshop heater thermometer is below temp (on?)

Then

run program 2 then clause

Else

set heater off

These three programs will run the heater in 10 minute intervals. If the room is still not up to temp after 10 minutes, it will run another 10 minutes, and so forth until it is up to temp. Then it will shut off and wait for the room to drop below temp again.

You would want to set the first program to run on boot and also you would need to manually run the "if" the first time to get it started if the workshop is already below temp.

I am not sure why you want to limit running the heater to 10 minutes. Is this simply to ensure you don't get a bunch of short cycles on the heater?

I agree with apostolakisl that status may be a better option here. Most of his suggestions are good ones, and I believe this one to be no exception. I offer a simpler potential solution. It would work slightly different than apostalaksil's, but it may be good enough:

If
status 'Workshop Thermometer-Sensor' is On

Then
wait 5 minutes
Set 'Workshop Heater' on

Else
wait 5 minutes
set 'workshop heater' off

This may not necessarily guarantee 10 minute minimum cycles, but it may be good enough for your purposes. Of course, you can adjust the time cycles to suit your needs. Larger times would give larger temperature swings between cycles.

The best way to solve the problem is to have a thermometer that clicks on at one temp and off at another. For example, on at 70, off at 73. Then a simple link would do the trick (no programs).

No matter what program you use, you need to set the primary program to run at boot and you will want to run it manually any time you make an edit. Otherwise, if it is already "on" when you start things off and the heater is "off", you will never get a trigger to turn on the heater (a status change, or control on)

I think oberkc program will do the trick more simply than mine.

Archived