How do I ignore motion sensor when going to bed?

poormonkey

I am running v2.8.16 in my ISY-99i. I have my motion sensor setup for night time only and only sends an On command. The motion sensor is in the hallway, and it turns on the kitchen lights. This is so when we come home and we come in the garage, the kitchen lights come on for us.

Here is my problem I am struggling with, when we go to bed at night, we turn off the kitchen lights. Well, unfortunately we then walk pass the motion sensor which turns the kitchen lights back on, and they will stay on since the motion sensor only sends an on command. If I enable it to send an off command, well when we are actually in the kitchen the motion sensor won't see our movement and it will turn off the lights on us. Any suggestions on how to ignore the motion sensor when we goto bed?

I would like to some how once someone turns off the kitchen lights by the switch, to not look again for the motion sensor for like the next 10-15 minutes.

This is what I have for programming.

Motion:

If

Control 'Motion Sensor-Sensor' is switched On

And Status 'Kitchen' is Off

Then

Set 'Kitchen' On

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Any suggestions on how to ignore the motion sensor when we goto bed?

The first question you are going to have to answer is how is the ISY-99 going to know that you are in bed? Certain time? A keypad button used as a status? Motion sensors in the bedroom?

I would like to some how once someone turns off the kitchen lights by the switch, to not look again for the motion sensor for like the next 10-15 minutes.

I suppose a variable would work here, if you are really into such things. Otherwise, how about "this program":

if 
control "kitchen light switch" is switched off
then
wait 15 minutes
run this program (if path) <<else

This program would be triggered any time the kitchen light switch is turned off, which would execute the "then" path (program status = true). After 15 minutes, this program would be triggered again, at which point it would execute the "else" path (program status = false). In other words, this program would be "true" for 15 minutes any time someone turns the kitchen light off.

Then, update your existing program, using "this program" as a status condition:

If
And status program "this program" is false <<<<
Then
Set 'Kitchen' On

Else

Please keep in mind that the programming language is approximate.

Hello poormonkey,

I assume from your post and program example that the ms is not directly linked to the kitchen lights. I am also assuming the kitchen light or lights are powered by a Switchlinc or similar Insteon switching device.

One way to disable the ms program you have listed is to create a new program which looks for the kitchen lights being turned of locally such as:

Kitchen Lights Manual Off:

If
Control 'Kitchen Lights' is Switched Off

Then
Wait 5 minutes
Run Program 'Kitchen Lights Manual Off' Else

Else

So when you manually turn off the kitchen lights then program Kitchen Lights Manual Off turns true for 5 minutes then turns false.

Next, in your example program add:

If
And Program 'Kitchen Lights Manual Off' is False

Then
Set 'Kitchen' On

Else

Now when you locally turn off the kitchen lights the first program turns true for 5 minutes which will prevent the second program from running as you pass by the ms on your way to bed. After 5 minutes the first program turns false which will allow the second program to run true when it is triggered by the ms.

Tim

Hello poormonkey,

I assume from your post and program example that the ms is not directly linked to the kitchen lights. I am also assuming the kitchen light or lights are powered by a Switchlinc or similar Insteon switching device.

One way to disable the ms program you have listed is to create a new program which looks for the kitchen lights being turned of locally such as:

Kitchen Lights Manual Off:

If
Control 'Kitchen Lights' is Switched Off

Then
Wait 5 minutes
Run Program 'Kitchen Lights Manual Off' Else

Else

So when you manually turn off the kitchen lights then program Kitchen Lights Manual Off turns true for 5 minutes then turns false.

Next, in your example program add:

If
And Program 'Kitchen Lights Manual Off' is False

Then
Set 'Kitchen' On

Else

Now when you locally turn off the kitchen lights the first program turns true for 5 minutes which will prevent the second program from running as you pass by the ms on your way to bed. After 5 minutes the first program turns false which will allow the second program to run true when it is triggered by the ms.

Tim

Correct, the motion sensor is not linked to the kitchen light which is controlled by a 2476D switch.

I just implemented your "Kitchen Lights Manual Off" program. However, it is enabled and the condition is always "idle" and status is always "false". It is as if the "Control 'kitchen" is switched off. Is never being seen my the program. Any ideas on how to trouble shoot this?

I looked in the vent viewer and the control off nor the control on is being seen in the event viewer. I am able to turn the switch on and off using the software interface and I see that in the event viewer. So, why isn't the switch control on and off being seen in the event viewer?

I haven't looked into the phase coupler much, but can this be the issue? The ISY is in the basement, and kitchen is up stairs. I haven't looked at what phase each of the circuits is on. :?

That is strange...after factory resetting the SL did you run a restore in the ISY for that device?

Do you have two access points set up on opposite legs(I know you must have at least 1 or a dual band plm in order for the MS signals to be received)?

I personally believe (based on my observations in my home) that a phase coupler mounted at the service panel is a great idea. But there are many here who do not have one and have great success without one.

Tim

Archived