Dimming magnetic low-voltage load

eataft

I've found inconsistent information about whether the SwitchLinc 2476D and 2476DH dimmer switches can control magnetic (transformer) low-voltage lighting. Most of the spec sheets and other literature at the Smarthome website say incandescent only. But the switches themselves are labeled "For control of permanently installed incandescent, low-voltage, neon, cold cathode, and general inductive fixtures only."

So, I thought I would give it a try. I have some low-voltage track lighting that is controlled from a Lutron DLDV-603P dimmer, which is specifically labeled for magnetic low-voltage lighting and which works very well. I replaced this switch with a SwitchLinc 2476DH. The light comes on and it dims OK, but the transformer makes a loud buzz, even at full brightness, and even louder when dimmed down.

I figure that this can't be good for the transformer. Even if it is harmless, the buzz is objectionable and unacceptable. So I have put back the old dimmer and I am now looking for a better solution.

Does anyone know of Insteon-compatible dimmers, besides the ones from Smarthome, that might work better with magnetic low-voltage loads?

Archived