Suddenly lost communication to all of my devices

Hi,

I just installed abou 10 dual-band INSTEON devices as part of my X-10 replacement project. I have just set up the devices in my shiny new ISY-99i. Everything was working fine. I'd written a couple of programs and was having fun controlling the lights from my mac.

Last night I was experimenting with controlling my x-10 devices from the ISY-99i. I created the commands in programs and sent them - nothing happened.

Immediately, the ISY-99i started complaining that it could not communicate with any of the INSTEON devices. All of them have exclamation points in front of their names, and when I startup the app I get a "Cannot communicate with" dialog box for each device.

I've tried more and more aggressive techniques to figure this out, until finally I factory reset the ISY-99i and the PLM. I tried to link a couple of devices, and the ISY-99i saw them but then failed when trying to write to them.

I haven't made any changes electrically. Do I have a fried PLM?

Thanks in advance.

Eyeronik1

That is one possibility. As an FYI never reset the ISY unless UDI specifically directs that activity to be done. The Factory reset of the PLM erased all the link records in the PLM. This requires a File | Restore Modem (PLM) to rebuild the PLM.

The erased link records in the PLM will stop Scenes from working. Individual device control is not dependent on link records however. Complete loss of individual control of every Insteon device does suggest a PLM issue but not necessarily a defective PLM. Be sure the PLM it is not plugged into a surge suppression power strip or UPS. If the PLM is plugged into the same circuit as the PC/UPS equipment the Insteon signals could be absorbed or otherwise interfered with. A simple test of this situation is to plug the PLM into an extension cord and plug the extension cord into another circuit in another room. If this resolves the problem a FilterLinc between the PC/UPS equipment and the powerline usually resolves the problem.

Also be sure the pair of Dual Band devices being used to couple the 2 120V legs are receiving each other and on opposite 120V legs. Appliances such as electric hot water heater, electric clothes dryer, electric stove can provide temporary intermittent coupling. This gives the impression the Dual Band devices have been installed correctly but may not be. The 4 Set button tap test to verify correct Dual Band device communi9cation is essential.

Lee

Notwithstanding LeeGs comments about resetting the ISY, I assume this was not your original cause of the problem. Still, you will have to restore everything.

Your reference to X-10 was interesting. All was working fine until you tried X-10 commands from the ISY?! As a shot in the dark, do you have any X-10 phase couplers? If so, what type?

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

I didn't describe my symptoms precisely enough - the PLM can read from any device, at least some of the time; it fails when it tries to write 100% of the time. For example, I can set up a new link, the ISY will see the device and start to add it, and fail while the "writing" arrow is green. Also, about 1/3 of the time the console will start up in safe mode because it can't see the PLM. Rebooting usually fixes that.

One more note - I was also testing out the Mobilinc Free app simultaneously to using the admin console.

I felt comfortable resetting the ISY and PLM because I'm still starting out, and I can rebuild things easily.

I don't think it's a communication problem. I did try the PLM in a nearby outlet, and nothing changed. Also, all the devices can see each other.

I've had x-10 for years and the INSTEON stuff works much better. I've got most stuff filtered already.

Ron

Your reference to X-10 was interesting. All was working fine until you tried X-10 commands from the ISY?! As a shot in the dark, do you have any X-10 phase couplers? If so, what type?

No, I don't have any phase couplers. I just lived with unreliable lighting.

If the ISY is coming up in Safe Mode because it cannot find the PLM that is the Serial Port connection between the ISY and the PLM. Try removing the cable and make sure the connectors click when fully inserted at both ends. Try another cable if available.

The other symptoms sound more like powerline issues. Moving the PLM to another outlet close by probably did not move the PLM to another circuit. Try the extension cord trick so the PLM can be plugged into a circuit in another room.

Creating links requires many more commands then simple device control. It is common when comm problems exist to be able to control a device with an individual command but not be able to string perhaps dozens of commands back to back to link the device.

Do the Access Points pass the 4 tap Set button test to confirm RF reception and correct opposite phase placement.

HI,

I tried connecting the PLM to the ISY with a 50-ft cat 5 cable and different outlets with the same result. At start, I get a dialog box for every device in succession saying there's a communication error.

I don't see how it can be a communication error, since it worked 100% reliably until Friday night when suddenly every device became unreachable, Also, all my device links still work fine.

What is the 4-tap test?

Thanks,

Ron

If the ISY is coming up in Safe Mode because it cannot find the PLM that is the Serial Port connection between the ISY and the PLM. Try removing the cable and make sure the connectors click when fully inserted at both ends. Try another cable if available.

The other symptoms sound more like powerline issues. Moving the PLM to another outlet close by probably did not move the PLM to another circuit. Try the extension cord trick so the PLM can be plugged into a circuit in another room.

Creating links requires many more commands then simple device control. It is common when comm problems exist to be able to control a device with an individual command but not be able to string perhaps dozens of commands back to back to link the device.

Do the Access Points pass the 4 tap Set button test to confirm RF reception and correct opposite phase placement.

The 4 tap Set button test is described in the Access Points User Guide (or whatever Dual Band devices are being used to couple the 120V legs).

This test insures the Dual Band devices can hear the RF signal being generated and that they are on installed on opposite 120V legs.

A 50' cable is at the max range for a Serial Port connection. Better to use the shorter cable and plug the PLM into an extension cord to move the PLM plug point for test purposes.

Archived