Controlling a 240v load with Insteon

Buzzhazz

Hi all

I think I already know the answer, but I am trying to control a 240v dust collector in my workshop. In my old shop, I used a 240v X-10 20A relay from Leviton. I then used an RX plug-in receiver and a FOB type device I could hook on my belt. That way, I could control the dust collector from anywhere in my shop I happened to be working.

I know SH has the "220V / 240V 30 AMP INSTEON Load Controller Normally Open Relay (Dual-Band)" relay for about $120 bucks but that seems like overkill as my machine is on a 20A circuit.

I may be stuck with that solution, but the only other alternative I have thought might work would be to find one of the old Leviton relays and then program the ISY to send the X-10 command whenever I press a button on a wall switch or RemoteLinc.

Thoughts or other solutions?

Not too much cheaper but ELK makes a contactor relay in a metal box. Has a 120 volt coil and connects to a ApplianceLinc or any automation module that switches 120 volts AC.

Maybe you could see what is in it. Get an enclosure and a 120 volt AC coil relay and make your own.

http://www.smarthome.com/72800/Elk-Heav ... 200/p.aspx

Archived