ISY99i Pro vs. Smartlinc Central Controller

Vanhalo

I dont use smartlinc, but....

i understand that the smartlink has no, or very limited, conditional logic built in. Also, I would expect limited integration with other systems, such as weather, security, etc...

I am sure there are other differences that I am missing

I used a Smartlinc and upgraded to the isy-99i.

The isy-99i is completely programmable to "Events". The smartlinc was more better suited to timed schedules. With the isy-99i, I can say "if the hall light is turned on, and the thermostat is set below 65 degrees, turn it up to 68".

The isy-99i can also communicate with other network devices, and they can communicate with it. For instance, I have a Russound home audio system, with a RS232 port. I can send commands from the isy-99i to turn on specific zones, etc. I have mine set to turn off the kids bedroom zones at a specific time, if they left the music on when they went to sleep.

The isy-99i also handles all the physical programming between the actual insteon switches. For instance, if you have 2 switches controlling one light (a 3-way setup), you normally have to link the two together. That means walking to switch A to link to B, and B to link to A. If you have 3 switches controlling 1 light, it compounds the problems.

With the isy-99i, you do all the linking from 1 PC. You only have to link the switch to the isy-99i once, and then all links and scenes are controlled at the PC.

There is more to it than that, but those are the biggies for me.

Archived