Insteon/X10 Elements Required for Exterior Entrance Lighting

dtrose

I am using ISY-99i version 2.7.6. Attempting to create a setup to use exterior sensors with conventional light fixtures at my entrance doors. I would like to have feed back to the interior Lighting Program. Will someone guide me as to the various devices I will need to set up the on/off control of the entrance lights as well as any interior lights I might want to control? I prefer to use the Insteon products.

BTW, please advise me regarding the software version I am using and whether a later version is available. If so, how do I go about updating it?

Dick Rose

If so, how do I go about updating it?

Update instructions are included with each announcement. Perhaps you have not noticed the "Announcements" forums? Try:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewforum.php?f=25

Will someone guide me as to the various devices I will need to set up the on/off control of the entrance lights as well as any interior lights I might want to control?

So you already use an ISY-99? Are all the fixtures you want to control by motion already controlled by an insteon device (switch, module, etc)? Do you already have insteon RF devices (access points, dual-band modules, etc)? If so, then all you would need would be insteon motion sensors.

Re: Exterior Entrance Lights

I don't have any devices related to sensing motion. I need to know the best sensor to use and then I would need to know what device I would use to control the lights themselves. Now the lights are manual switch controlled. In viewing the Smarhome catalog I felt I needed 2420M Motion Sensors, 2475SZ Inline on/off w/sense units, and 7854 9volt battery adaptors. Does this sound like I am headed in the right direction? Is there a better approach? I am about to purchase new light fixtures as well and am disappointed that more light fixtures with sensors aren't available with feedback to the Insteon system. The only fixtures that do so - seem to be the flood light type.

Dick Rose

The existing manual switch located in the house I assume can be replaced with a SwitchLinc Relay 2476S. The 2420M Motion Sensor is not water proof so it has to be mounted in a location protected from the elements. The Motion Sensor can trigger an ISY Program that turns On the SwitchLinc to turn On the outside lights. How long they stay On can be controlled with the ISY Program.

I do not see a need for the InLineLinc w/sense. It can be used with a motion sensor that is powered from 120V AC which is not the type of motion sensor you would be using. Also since there is already a manual switch inside that can be replaced with an Insteon switch there is no need to place an InLineLinc in the outside light fixture.

Re: Manual Switch

The switches related to the exterior lights are three device or two device small despard switch units in a single box. I am not in a position to replace one unit switch without adding cutouts and boxes. I was thinking I could add the 2475SZ in the outside box and control the light via the ISY99i program. Any other ideas?

Dick ...

• 1 month later...

Progress report . . . I successfully installed the In-LineLinc Switch at the side door and linked it to the ISY. The Front Door setup is giving me trouble. I can't get the ISY to communicate with the In-LineLinc Switch at that location. Spent some time with Todd on the phone on 4/27. Couldn't solve the problem . . . he suggested upgrading to 3.2.4 (Beta) . . . did that this morning (4/28) . . . more to follow when my helper visits again.

Interesting question . . . I had two Access Points installed and still had some trouble. I seemed to solve it by placing an older unit in the Washer Dryer plug. That was a unit (not sure of the model ID) that I had when I was using the X10 devices throughout and the HomeBase unit. I haven't experienced any difficulty so far. I was hesitant to use that, but thought I would give it a try. Not sure whether the Insteon activity would flow through. Any comments?

The old dryer plug is a passive coupler that can pass the Insteon frequency as well as X10. The fact that the passive coupler fixed it suggests the Access Points are not plugged into outlets on opposite 120v legs or are not within RF range of each other. Suggest running the 4 tap Set button test on the Access Points again in both direction.

Archived