2420M motion sensor constantly turning on

schebb

I have a 2420M motion sensor in an upstairs hallway perched on an upstairs hall half wall railing. It is being used to turn on the hall lights as night lights after dark. Just got looking at the logs and I see that the sensor goes to 100% every 2 to 6 minutes on average meaning the lights are on dim most of the night. I have already set the motion sensitivity low with the jumper. Any ideas why it is constantly turning on? Thanks.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Oaklandjeff,

LeeG looked at my log files and determined that it was probably a defective MS. I have tried to resurrect it many times with factory resets and fresh batteries. Even completely disassembled and checked for solder bridges or cold solder joints. Cleaned solder flux with isopropyl and reassembled with no joy. Contacted supplier who were happy to exchange but after figuring shipping costs decided it was hardly worth the effort. Sorry to hear you had same experience. A colleague of mine and I have installed small systems using ISY and Smarthome components and we both feel that the motion sensors have a quality issue and seem to be the weakest link in our systems, especially the dusk/dawn sensing, but at $35 each..........thats pretty inexpensive for an RF motion sensor. Cheers.

Steve

Andy,

We understand that point. I have a motion sensor that sends an on command every 2 to 6 minutes even if installed in a motionless environment and oaklandjeff now has one doing the same thing. These are faulty devices. The dusk/dawn complaint arises from testing three motion sensors with dusk/dawn set to the same level sitting side by side on the same window sill pointing in the same direction and having the dusk/dawn sensors pick up at four very different light levels. I also have one mounted in a hallway with windows at both ends that will not change dusk/dawn state regardless of having the light setting on 0 or 1 or 255? I attribute these inconsistencies to quality but not complaining as they are quite inexpensive and I have been able to make them work in each individual situation.

Steve

Archived