Using Switchlinc Dimmers in 3-way Applications

bigdog

I installed 2 Switchlinc 2477D modules replacing 2 standard 3-way switches. The wiring docs were clear and I had no problem getting them installed and linked up with my ISY99.

I linked the "Line" switch as a controller for the "Load" switch which enabled 3-way operation. However, when the dim level is adjusted manually from the "Load" side, the LEDs on the "Line" side to not reflect what the actual setting is.

So, my question is this:

Am I supposed to also link the "Load" switch as a controller for the "Line" switch? In other words, is the proper way to do this to link both switches as controllers for the other so that the LEDs synchronize properly?

The Insteon docs do not explain how to link 2 (or more) switches together so that they stay synchronized when the switches are used manually like regular wall switches.

Also, is there any way to link devices from within the ISY99 Admin Console? It would save me a lot of running on the next ones ;)

Thanks

-Brian

First, if Set button links were created they must be deleted. The ISY is not aware of these and they will eventually be overlaid or deleted. Except in special cases where the device add instructions indicate the need, NEVER do Set button links.

To cross-link the two SwitchLincs, define one ISY Scene. Add both SwitchLincs as Controllers in the one Scene. The ISY will cross-link the SwitchLincs such that the status LEDs stay in sync.

Thank you very much! That worked perfectly and was exactly what I wanted it to do.

I did find that when I use these switches in a program, I need to send the same commands to both switches so that their LEDs are updated.

If Insteon Direct commands are sent to a device those Direct commands do not propagate to other devices. This is the way Insteon works. The Scene name can be used rather than an individual device if both switches should react together.

Rather than use

Set ‘SwitchLinc1’ On

Set ‘SwitchLinc2’ On

use

Set Scene ‘SwitchLinc Scene’ On

which will turn On (or Off or whatever) both SwitchLincs.

This would be the same Scene that was used to cross-link the SwitchLincs

Thanks, that works great!

I discovered another funny issue, since the scene method seemed better, I added a scene with a SwitchLinc and a LampLinc. I had these in a program to set both devices either ON or OFF depending on a condition and the program worked fine. So I created a scene to control these two devices and changed the program to set the scene ON or OFF instead.

When using the scene, the SwitchLinc works, but the LampLinc does not. If I change the program back to SET the SwitchLinc and SET Lamplinc rather than using the scene, everything works fine again.

I can control both devices from the UI fine as well. So it isn't a communication issue. It is just when they are both in a scene, only the SwitchLinc responds. Any ideas what may cause that?

Check the Scene Responder On Level for the LampLinc that it is not set to 0% On Level.

A Direct command has multiple retries built in, a Set Scene does not. If there is marginal communication with the LampLinc location a Direct command can work and a Scene command not. Move the LampLinc to the same plug point as the PLM to see if the Scene On works. If so then the reliability of communication between the PLM location and the LampLinc location is in question. If the LampLinc does not work when plugged into the same outlet as the PLM then things like Responder On Level and Scene link records are in question.

Archived