Garage door keeps opening ... ISY99 Help..

beachfront71

Hi and thanks,

It is raining pretty good here in souther cal and for some reason this afternoon my garage door keeps opening on its own .. I have had ISY installed w Mobilinc now for probably 4 months and have never had this happen.

I chalked it up to the weather and unplugged the garage door from the smarthome Garage door kit for the evening but am still getting messages on my phone that the garage door is opened...?

Any suggestions or should I possbibly reset ISY .. running 3.1.17..

Thanks again

Did you make any determination why the I/O Linc Relay is being directed to turn On?

Is the I/O Linc Sensor turning On/Off without the door moving?

The ISY does not know it is raining. Not likely recycling the ISY is going to make any difference but there is no harm either.

I do not have the IO linc turning anything off or on .. just get the updated status on my iphone w mobilinc...

And the door is moving which causes the change in the sensor status ... I was in my office over the garage and heard the door motor moving, closed it, then 2 minutes later it was opening again..

I have no idea what would cause this to happen..

And I can not tell if it is the ISY, the mobilinc software, or the IO linc...

Anyway to isolate this?

And thanks for the help btw..

Hi and sorry for the delay.

I misread your previous post..

THe IO Linc is connected to the garage door sensor .. I use mobilinc to get an update on the sensor status but have nothing else programed to show the status (ie a lamp, light, etc.).

The only way I get the status of the GD sensor is with my iphone.

I am trying to determine if this is a smarthome/isy/mobilinc issue so I can troubleshoot with the approp. compnay.

Reading the I/O Linc Sensor would have no control over door movement. For the door opener to move the garage door something has to be connected to the door opener circuit. What I was asking if the Relay side of the I/O Linc, which is separate from the Sensor side that is monitoring door position, is not connected to the door opener circuit, what control could Insteon have over door movement?

Is any Insteon device connected to the door opener circuit? This is the circuit the wall mounted button is connected to that causes the door to open or close. Besides seeing if the door is open or closed is there a button on the MobiLinc that allows you to cause the door to open or close? If there is no Insteon device connected to the door opener circuit, nothing related to Insteon, ISY or MobiiLinc is related to the door moving when it rains.

Did someone else install the I/O Linc in the garage?

Hi and thanks.

Yes the IO linc is connected to the garage door button circuit and the sensor.

This has been the setup for quite some time and I have never had any problems with it .

The smarthome Garage door kit shows up as 2 parts on Mobilinc. ..

1. The sensor which shows a status of off (closed) or on(open)..

2. the IO linc which allows you to send a cycle command to open or close the garage door

I did the install and as mentioned above it has worked fine until the storms last week.

I was having ISY communication issues during this time as well ..

Wondering if extra humidity or power surges from bad weather could have caused the IO linc do it ..

I am swapping out the IO linc today at Smarthome and sending the error report for the isy to UD to make sure it was nothing on that end..

Mobilinc has been ruled out after speaking with thier team.

Insteon powerline messages are far too complex with CRC check character to be generated by electrical noise. I really don't think the I/O Linc circuitry would be affected by humidity unless water was actually flowing on the device itself.

Is the native garage door wall control a simple push button or the newer multi button controllers that support immediate open, delayed open, light control, and so on. A simple single button would seem unlikely to be affected by humidity. The more complex multi button controls might but that seems unlikely as well. They are designed to be installed in a garage where the environment can be harsh compared to inside a house. Is there an exterier switch such as a keypad that can control the opener. Something like that could be affected by rain. What company made the garage door opener.

In the initial post it indicated the garage door kit was removed from the opener. Was this done by disconnecting the wires from the I/O Linc or unplugging the I/O Linc? Did the door ever move after the disconnect?

I had this randomly happening on one of 2 garage doors. Turned out to be the connections from the wall button and IOlinc at the opener terminals. I had one loose strand of wire that was bridging the terminals and vibration or temp change was enough to make the circuit at random times. Also check for possible shorts along the wires running from the opener to the wall button and IOLinc.

Just something to check for.

-Xathros

Archived