New EZSnSRF and Dakota Motion Sensor install ?'s

jpoje

I just installed a Simplehomenet EZSnSRF and a Dakota 3000 outdoor motion sensor and programmed the items into the ISY99.

1st question, it seems that when I move the EZSnSRF to a different electrical outlet (trying to get the best range to the motion sensor which I have located outside), I lose the communication from the motion sensor to the EZ and have to manually set it back up in ISY (add sensor to EZSnSRF). Is this normal? What if there is a power outage, will the EZ and the motion lose communication and have to be set up again in ISY?

2nd question, I have set the motion to the longest range up to 80' and seem to only get around 20-25'. I assume the white plastic over the motion sensor's lense need to stay in tact to keep it waterproof? Or, can that be removed for better range. I've tested it indoors and outdoors? Does that seem normal?

Thanks for any input.

"1st question, it seems that when I move the EZSnSRF to a different electrical outlet (trying to get the best range to the motion sensor which I have located outside), I lose the communication from the motion sensor to the EZ and have to manually set it back up in ISY (add sensor to EZSnSRF). Is this normal?"

No, I suggest moving it back to the outlet were things were working. The EZSnsRF information is stored in non-volital memory. Unless you factory reset the EZSnsRF accidently during the move the drop in power should have no affect.

"What if there is a power outage, will the EZ and the motion lose communication and have to be set up again in ISY?"

It should not lose configuration data.

The affect of altering the Dakota Alert motion sensor should really be taken up with Dakota Alert.

Using a Dakota Alert Universal Remote I triggered the EZSnsRF from 50’ through 2 interior walls. Walked outside about the same distance with the same results.

Unplugged the EZSnsRF for 60 seconds. Universal Remote worked okay after EZSnsRF had initialized.

You may have other issues, unreliable comm from the EZSnsRF plug point, low battery in the motion sensor. What type of wall material does the motion sensor have to transmit through.

I just linked the Dakota motion sensor back up to the EZsnsRF thru the ISY and tested a few times all in the same room just to make sure everything was working properly.

I then unplugged the EZsnsRF for 2-3 seconds and then plugged in right back into the same outlet and I lost the configuration (no communication from motion to EZ). I think I will need to contact SimpleHomeNet as the EZ must be defective.

Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow up for any future readers of this post.

After troubleshooting the EZSnSRF device with Justin at SimpleHomeNet, it was suggested that I get a replacement from Smarthome. The second device that I received performed the exact same way!

After many hours of frustration :shock: , I just returned everything to Smarthome. EZSnSRF device is useless to me if it loses communication with the motion after a split second power failure. Possibly the Dakota motion had an issue, I don't know, as I didn't have another Dakota item to test with.

I guess I will try what Lee suggested previously and get the motion with the dakota receiver and connect that directly to the EZ1061.

To all of you who share their time and expertise on this forum, thank you very much.

Sorry to hear it did not work for you. That is an odd result. I ordered a Dakota Alert Motion Sensor but just got around to testing it with all the I2CS activity. I added the Dakota Alert Motion Sensor as a Sensor to the EZSnsRF. After verifying the motion sensor was signaling On and Off to the EZSnsRF and being reported to the ISY I unplugged the EZSnsRF and restored power. The Motion Sensor continues to report On/Off as motion is sensed. It takes a little less than 30 seconds for the EZSnsRF to boot up. After that motion is reported.

The Dakota Alert receiver is easy to set up as it has dip switches for the first 8 bits of the code like the device itself except the channel is not identified. The receiver supports all four channels so there is no need for the last two dip switches.

I suggest using the four opto-isolated Inputs on the EZIO6I as these Inputs are the easiest to interface with. Connect the last two Analog possible Inputs to GND to keep stray signals from cycling the last two Inputs.

Either, I had two defective EZSnSRF's or possibly something was wrong with the Dakota Motion Sensor. The real test was the day I came home and knew there was a power failure (clock's flashing) and the thing wasn't working again. The ISY would not show on/off when setting off motion either. I kept thinking I was doing something wrong, until I went step by step with Justin.

Thanks for the tips on connecting the Dakota receiver. I would assume just a 22 gauge wire would be okay for the connections?

I received the EZIO6I and Dakota 3000 receiver with two motion sensors today.

I have the EZ linked into ISY99 (9,A,B,C,D,F). I wired the two analog connections on the EZ to the GND (so it stopped the on/off cycling in the ISY), as per advice in a previous post.

Now, I'm lost. There's nothing in the Dakota or EZ instructions or WIKI explaining how to connect the two items together? Is there a link somewhere with instructions or can someone give me a quick reply with instructions?

Thanks again for all the help!!!

The EZIO6I I1+, I2+, I3+, I4+ are connected to the +12v connection on the EZIO6I. The EZIO6I GND is connected to each of the 4 Dakota Alert Relay Common connections. The Normally Open (N/O) of each Dakota Alert relay goes to a separate Ix- connection.

Whenever one of the Dakota Alert Relays turns On when an RF signal is received it will turn On the corresponding EZIO6I Input. The Relays do not stay energized for more than a few seconds so it is necessary to trigger an ISY Program when the EZIO6I Input node turns On.

EDIT: The Dakota Alert User Guide can be downloaded from the Dakota Alert web site. The EZIO6I normally comes with a Quick-Start guide which can be downloaded from the Simplehomenet web site if missing.

Archived