Can't seem to make a Programs folder active

ricke

I created a folder under Programs for lights that I wanted to go on at set times when on vacation. I saved the programs and tried both having the folder active when a keylinc button was turned on as well as during certain times of the day but I don't ever see those programs run.

Anyway to force the items in a Programs folder to be turned on?

And how can I troubleshoot why they might not be turning on?

Thanks!

Rick

Look at Programs | Summary for the Status of the Folder. Does it show True or False. If False the Programs in the Folder will not run. Time ranges (From/To) have to cross the From time before the Folder would indicate True. Just being inside the range does not make it True.

Suggest posting the Folder and what the Folder Status is.

I checked status and the folder did appear to be on. Status didn't show a status for the folder itself (Vacation Away Security Programs) but rather for the items within that folder.

I have a Keylinc button which I use to activate the program. The top level folder has this code behind it:

Folder Conditions for 'Vacation Away Security Programs'

Add conditions to limit when programs in this folder are allowed to run.

If

Control '0F.15.D6.G - Secure Lights' is switched On

Then

Allow the programs in this folder to run.

Here are what some of the programs within that folder look like. These programs show a status of ON:

Family Room Program:

If

From 4:05:00PM

To 11:11:00PM (same day)

Then

Repeat Every 1 hour

Wait 5 minutes (Random)

Set 'Family Floods (0F.15.D6.1)' On

Wait 10 minutes

Set 'Family Floods (0F.15.D6.1)' Off

Else

Set 'Family Floods (0F.15.D6.1)' Off

-----

Main Hallway Program:

If

From Sunset + 10 minutes

To 10:50:00PM (same day)

Then

Repeat Every 1 hour

Wait 45 minutes (Random)

Set Scene 'Main Hallway' On

Wait 10 minutes

Set Scene 'Main Hallway' Off

Else

------------------------------------------------

I found that code as suggested vacation logic on the Forum.

Any way to make certain the code runs properly?

Thanks!

Rick

If the Folder Status does not show True the Programs under the Folder will not run. Try clicking Save Changes. What ISY firmware is being using.

Also the Folder If should be

If

Status '0F.15.D6.G - Secure Lights' is switched On

rather than If Control. With If Control the Folder only triggers when an On command is received. There is no way to turn Status to False.

I highly suspect the condition

If
   Control '0F.15.D6.G - Secure Lights' is switched On

is the problem. As Lee mentioned, you should use status for that condition. Meaning that whenever that kpl button is lit up (no matter how it got turned on) it will turn the folder true and the programs inside will run.

Also, though, keep in mind that if you turn that button on after the "from" time has already passed, those programs will not run on their own. With a "from to" program they only spontaneously trigger at the from time and the to time. In between those times, you need some other trigger to cause it to run. For example:

If
  Status '0F.15.D6.G - Secure Lights' is On

Then

Run program . ..  (IF)

In this way, if the switch is turned on, the program will evaluate the if clause and if indeed it is in between those times, the then clause executes.

And a note: as Lee mentioned, using "control switched on" logic never evaluates to false. In fact none of the "control" conditions ever evaluate to false. They serve as a "trigger" to a "true" outcome only. In other words, their value is in triggering a program to run the "then" clause. The only time ISY pays any attention to an "if" clause containing a "control" statement is when it happens. In other words if you have "control switched on" as a condition, turning the switch off (or dimming it, or fast on, or fast off) is simply ignored. Turning the switch on cuases the if clause to evaluate (and assuming there is nothing else in the cluase that is false) it runs the "then" clause. Think of "control" commands as a way to trigger the if evaluation, not as a true/false controller.

I'll check the firmware version when I get home.

Regarding your comment about the status for the folder being ON, what does it mean if under the Status page you don't even see that folder shown? (Vacation Away Security Programs)

I see all of the programs under that folder show up in status, just not the parent folder.

Thanks,

Rick

If you are referring to the Programs | Summary page not showing the Folder, try clicking the Refresh button at the top right. A Folder that does not have Conditions specified does not show up. Also Folders appear in collating sequence at the bottom of the list.

I changed the code for the parent folder from If Control XX = ON to If Status XX = On after doing a save and refresh now I do see the folder showing up with a status = True.

All of the child program folders also show a status of ON.

I don't see anything actually running yet though. I attached a screenshot to show the current status if that helps.

Thanks,

Rick

post-3264-140474155683_thumb.png

The ON is Enabled.

The Programs will not be triggered until the From time or To time is reached. In a simple If with From/To at the From time the Program will be triggered and the Then clause will run because the If is True. At the To time the Program will be triggered and the Else clause will run because the If is False.

Well its 9:34PM my time (EST) and definitely after sunset. The To/From time is:

Main Hallway Program:

If

From Sunset + 10 minutes

To 10:50:00PM (same day)

Then

Repeat Every 1 hour

Wait 45 minutes (Random)

Set Scene 'Main Hallway' On

Wait 10 minutes

Else

Shouldn't with this From/To setting that its in that time range and be active?

Thanks!

Rick

The parent Folder had to be True at Sunset +10 minutes for the Program to trigger. Getting the parent Folder into a True condition after Sunset +10 does not cause the Program to trigger. All conditions have to be good (True Parent Folder, Enabled Program) at the exact From time for the Program to trigger.

From xx time to yy time programs only spontaneously run at the xx time and the yy time, BUT only if the folder is true AT THAT TIME. If the folder is false at xx and yy time, nothing happens. The then or else clause will not execute.

So if the folder is false at xx or yy time, nothing happens and the program status does not change and the then or else clause do not run regardless if it is between those times or outside of those times.

You should just skip using folder on/off status. Just put the conditions in the if clause of each of the program

If
time is from xx to yy
and status vacation keypad link button is on

Then
 do something
Else 
 do something else (or nothing).

The above program will test the if clause at xx time, yy time, and every time the button status changes. This will always be followed by either the then or else executing. I think this is what you are looking for. Skip the folder conditions here, there are lots of ways using folder logic can be inaccurate, the above program can't be tricked.

Archived