2486D (8 button) and Linking to Scenes

jdheltne

I am having a problem making my keypadlinc 2 (2486D 8 button) control a scene. What I have is this:

ISY-99i Pro

firmware 3.1.17 (2012-01-19-15:34:02)

UI 3.1.17 (2012-01-19-15:34:02)

Keypadlinc 2 (2486D 8 button)

SwitchLinc (2476D) - Gameroom Light (only used as on and off, no dimmer in light)

I am trying to link them so that button C on the keypad can turn this light on and off and have the state be reflected on the keypad if I turn the light on and off from the gameroom as well.

When I look at the button in the UI, I see it is a controller and a responder for the scene, but when I look at the Switchlinc it is only a responder, and the On Level says applied locally and same with the ramp rate. How would I setup the switchlinc to be both controller and responder?

2nd, when I have a scene already created because of a 3 way switch, and I then want a button on the keypadlinc to control the existing scene, how do I make it controller/responder?

thanks,

Jason

The ISY Scene that has KeypadLinc button C as a Controller and the SwitchLinc as a Responder, Remove the SwitchLinc from the Scene and add it back to the Scene. When added to the Scene a popup "Confirm Add" is displayed showing the SwitchLinc is a Responder. Click the Controller/Responder button to change it to a Controller.

Add the KeypadLinc button to an existing 3-way Scene is the same process as above. Add the KeypadLinc button to the existing 3-way Scene. When the "Confirm Add" popup appears listing the KeypadLinc button as a Responder, click the Controller/Responder button to change it to a Controller.

If I already have a 3 way switch for several lights, and want to combine them to be controlled from one keypadlinc button:

Scene - GR-Floodlight

- GR-Outdoor-Floodlight

- Shop-Outdoor-Floodlight

Scene - Visitor Lights

- House-Patio-Spotlight

- House-Driveway-Spotlight

I want to add both scenes (or all 4 devices) to a scene controllable by a keypadlinc button. When I try to add them it says they are already part of a scene and only gives me the option to add them as a responder.

That is correct. An Insteon device can be a Controller of one Scene only. Insteon design unrelated to the ISY.

If you want the KeypadLinc to turn those devices On/Off create an ISY Scene, add the KeypadLinc button as Controller and the four devices as Responders. Turning the KeypadLinc button On/Off will turn the four Responders On/Off.

EDIT: Scenes cannot be cascaded. That is Scene A cannot be added to Scene B. Not an Insteon capability. The individual devices have to be added to Scenes, not Scenes to Scenes.

Sorry, I did not get the multi controller aspect from the last post. Either a single ISY Scene with all the Controller devices/buttons defined as Controllers or a Program that detects the status of a device and reflects that back to other devices/buttons.

Perhaps if you lay out the configuration, what devices such as SwitchLincs, KeypadLinc buttons, etc that you want to participate and exactly how they should participate would help. What devices should control what, what devices should reflect status of other devices.

I have the following devices:

ISY-99i IR/Pro

Gameroom Patio Builtin Lights - Lights that are built into the patio for the gameroom (3 way switch)

- "GR-Patio-Light-Builtin" (2477D) Switch is in the gameroom

- "Shop-GR-Patio-Light-Builtin" (2477D) Switch is in the shop

-Scene is called "GR-Patio-Lights-BuiltIn" and currently works as a 3 way switch were both switches are controllers and responders to each other

Gameroom Patio Fan Lights - Lights that are in the fan on the gameroom patio (3 way switch)

- "GR-Patio-Fan-Light" (2476S) Switch is in the gameroom

- "Shop-GR-Patio-Fan-Light" (2476D) Switch is in the shop

-Scene is called "GR-Patio-Fan-Light" and currently works as a 3 way switch were both switches are controllers and responders to each other

What I want to do is using my keypadlinc 2 (2486D) button D be able to control all 4 of the above switches, and have button D show a light when any of these switches are on, and no light when they are not on. In addition, when I press button D, I want these lights to turn on or off, and reflect that on their switches as well.

What I want to do is using my keypadlinc 2 (2486D) button D be able to control all 4 of the above switches

This can be done with a scene. Create a scene with keypad button D as controller and 4 switches as reponder.

and have button D show a light when any of these switches are on, and no light when they are not on.

This requires a program. You will also have to create a second scene with only button D (as responder). The program :

if
status 'light A' is on
or status 'light B' is on
or etc....
then
set "scene with only button D' on
else
set "scene with only button D' off

In addition, when I press button D, I want these lights to turn on or off, and reflect that on their switches as well.

This sounds like the same request as the first. The scene, above, will take care of this.

jdheltne

Sorry, I had to go out for a few hours. oberkc has you covered in both his answers. I would only add that the reason the Program is using a Scene with KeypadLinc button D as a Responder to turn On/Off button D LED is that a Secondary KeypadLinc button cannot be turned On/Off directly. A Secondary KeypadLinc button has to be turned On/Off with a Scene.

oberkc

Thanks for jumping in with all the good information.

Thank you guys for the help. I think I have this working with 1 final question:

I was hoping to try to get the buttons on the keypad to light up 50% if 1 or more switches in the scene are on. So for example,

Switches

-GR-FloodLights (on)

-GR-Light (off)

Keypad Button D

-KL-BD-D

Keypad button D would light up 50% since 1 of those lights is on.

I see how to turn the buttons on and off, but is it possible to set the button itself to only be 50% lit? What i have is:

If

Status 'GR-FloodLight' is on

Or Status 'GR-Light' is on

Then

Wait 2 seconds

Set Scene 'Keypad-BD-D' On <--- This is what I want to set at 50% if any of the 2 switches above is on

Else

Wait 2 seconds

Set Scene 'Keypad-BD-D' Off

Basically if 1 or more lights is on, light the button up 50% brightness

Archived