ELK M1 and First Alert Onlink

Nuttycomputer

So I'm looking into the ELK M1 for my security/fire system but I've ran into a problem I'm hoping someone can help with. This is for an existing construction which currently has five 2-wire smoke alarms on the first floor. None in the basement but at least 3 will be required to bring up to code. The ELK M1 will be installed in the basement as well making it difficult to run wires from the existing system to it.

The 2 options I've been considering:

1. Replacing the current wired system on the first floor with a flavor of GE Wireless Systems.

Pros:

Quick and Easy and would allow me to have 2 zones as I could still run a wired 4-wire system in the basement (finished but has drop ceiling)

Cons:

Replacing in place wired sensors with GE Wireless massively expands the cost of the system :( which is already pretty expensive for the controller alone.

2. Push through the hassle of rewiring the system down to the ELK Panel in the basement or find a way to bridge the system.

For option 2 I've been considering http://www.smarthome.com/79860/First-Al ... ack/p.aspx

Alone it would allow me to bridge the system and I can still install a 2-wire setup in the basement

However, my concern is whether anyone has attempted to use these with the ELK. They aren't listed as one of the supported smoke sensors in the ELK Manual.

Con here is I would have one zone for the entire house. (Unless I only used the secondary alarm to reach the ELK and still run a 4-wire system in the basement)

Anyone know whether his will work or has faced a similar situation with an alternative solution?

First off, if the 2 wire detectors are not all the same. Devices that are not compatible, really are not compatible. You should be certain that you have compatible models by contacting Elk or the manufacturer of the smoke detector.

My inclination would be to find a way to get wires from your first floor detectors to your basement Elk. Hopefully your current 2 wire devices are Elk compabible and you can just buy more of the same and daisy chain the whole lot on one wire.

Personally I see no need for zoning smoke detectors in the average size home. If you get a fire alarm it really isn't necessary for the panel to know where the smoke is. It will be quite obvious to the fire department when they show up if the house is actually on fire. Plus the one that causes the alarm usually has an led indicator so you can track down the culprit in false alarms via a 2 minute walk through the house.

I have an Elk with GE 4 wire detectors and am happy with it. I don't know anything about the unit you are listing. It does appear to not have any way to link it to your Elk, if that is what you want. Also, keep in mind that when you link 120vac units to an alarm panel, some local inspectors give you lots of grief or just don't allow it at all. And those units do appear to be 120vac with battery backup, so you would need 120vac wiring if you were to replace your current 2 wire low voltage devices which presumably don't have 120vac wires at present.

Also, I should note, you will want (be required to have) tandem audible alarms. In other words, when one detector trips, it causes all of them to scream. This will be a bit harder to do if you mix and match two systems. Certainly not impossible but just another consideration.

My 2 cents is to forget wireless. I just installed an Elk M1 panel (replaced a 30 year old system). I have to say cutting hand holes in the wallboard then patching them after the wire was pulled was not that bad. And you can't event tell where the patches are.

I live in a 2 story house (no basement) but needed access to attic from first floor. I also converted an Insteon garage door control with new wire feed to the M1. I ran new 4 wire to all the bedrooms (for smoke detection), added a sump pump warning switch and door bell detection. I found 3 of my exterior door contacts no longer were working. So I had to run new wires to the door jambs. I'm now considering running power supply and cat5 to all my wireless IP cameras and motion detectors.

My experience retrofitting an existing house was not that bad. When complete, my system will be more dependable than I could achieve with wireless controllers.

Thanks for the suggestions. The smoke detecors I have in place are old Firex 5000 120v devices. User manual is here: http://www.firexsafety.com/NR/rdonlyres ... 01357G.pdf

They came out with a replacement the Firex i5000 I could buy but I don't know yet whether those would work with the old devices or the ELK M1 at all.

The unit I listed above states it is designed to act as a bridge between systems. Specifically stating you could replace one of the old devices in a wired system with it to get wireless functionality. Seems the only way to determine if it would work is to actually plug it in and test it.

Regarding emailing ELK Support to find out if either of these devices will work with it does anyone have a good email to ask that question. Their website doesn't have a support email unless you already have the product it appears. Not sure where to email for Pre-sales questions.

If your smoke is any of the 120v devices that are out there then they are probably not UL rated to work with the M1. Stick with the approved 2 wire devices or 4 wire devices. If you really want to open up a can of worms do some searching over at http://www.cocoontech.com . There has been a few good topics about using 120v smokes with relay contacts to interface with the M1.

Also, you may want to talk to your AHJ to see what they will allow.

Archived