ISY99 and KPL Not Updating From IOLinc

MikeBro

I have a garage door IOLinc grouped in scenes with a KPL button. If I use the KPL or the ISY99 software to toggle the garage door, all is well, but if I open the door with the original button or remotes, status is not updated. If I "query" from the admin panel, the ISY status is updated correctly (but not the KPL button). This seems to be true with other (more ordinary) scenes as well, including when I trigger them from a grouped KPL button, but I've only fully verified it with the garage door system.

I notice I have a "query all" program that runs every day at 3am. Should I just set that to run say every five minutes?

Under no circumstances do a Query every 5 minutes of anything. Is the I/O Linc Sensor, which should be connected to the magnetic switch, turning the Green LED on the I/O Linc On and Off as the door opens and closes.

If no then the I/O Linc is not connected correctly. If the Green LED is turning On and Off the I/O Linc may have lost its link records if manual Set button links were tried. Could be too far from the house or the 120v phases are not coupled correctly. The easy test is to disconnect the wires from the I/O Linc in the garage, move it to the house at the PLM plug point. Attach two short wires to the Sensor and GND connections. Touch the wires together. The Green LED will turn On. Does the Sensor node in the Admin Console change state. If so there is a communications problem with the garage. If not there is a link record problem. Suggest deleting the I/O Linc and adding it back to the ISY to see if that results in the Sensor node showing state changes.

Thinking about what you said, I did a "restore device" on both the IOLinc and the KPL, and now it's working, so apparently one or both lost it's link records. It's not the first time this month I've had to do a restore. What causes this? Perhaps I should schedule the ISY to do an occasional restore.

Never having lost a device link database by accident I don't know the answer. Set button linking can result in problems as the ISY is not aware of them, eventually deleting or overlaying them. If this is occurring on a regular basis perhaps the next time do a Show Device Links Table on the devices involved to see which one has the problem and exactly what the problem is. By knowing what is wrong, the entire link database gone, something wrong with a specific link record, etc we can figure out what is actually happening. Glad to here the restores resolved the current problem.

Not sure if this is related, but I've noticed that at least some of the time the ISY is unaware of changes to any of my devices when controlled by a controller that is not itself linked to the ISY (X10 or Insteon) until I query the device. Is this normal?

The ISY is not notified of actions by devices that have not been added to the ISY. For the ISY to be aware the Controller has to be added to the ISY so the links necessary for that awareness are created.

How can you Query a device that is not known to the ISY?

I don't think I explained clearly. I don't want to query the controller (e.g. an X10), but I want the ISY99 to know the state of the responder, which *is* linked, regardless of how the state was changed. If I can't trust the ISY to know the state of every responder it is linked to, then I presume I need to make sure I query the device before trusting what the ISY99 tells me. Not a big deal, but I'll probably want to make that somewhat automatic.

The way any application knows the real time state of a Responder is to be notified when a Controller sends a message that affects the Responder and the application has been made aware of the Controller/Responder relationship. Insteon Responders do not notify another device (ISY PLM is this case) that they (the Responder) have been commanded. It is not part of the Insteon architecture.

Devices should not be linked outside of the ISY. The ISY does not know about those links and will eventually overlay or delete the links done outside the ISY.

The ISY will be aware of Responder states when all Controllers have been defined to the ISY and the links established with ISY Scenes.

Archived