3-way light

osurh18

I am a newbie toe the isy-99i. I came over from an insteon/smarthome 2412n. I have some knowledge and understanding of how most of this works. I am adding all of my lights right now to the isy. I have a 3-way switch that I had manually linked the switches so that when power was turned on one of the switches, both switches showed ON. When I link the devices to the ISY I used the save links option however it doesn't seem to have keep the relationship. How do I go about relinking the switches?

First look for a scene at the bottom of the My Lighting tree with a naming convention of Scene xxxx where xxxx is a number the ISY assigns to Scenes created with the keep existing links option.

If the Scene is not there define one ISY Scene. Add both switches to the Scene as Controllers. The ISY will cross-link the switches such that they operate as before.

Ok, I tried creating a scene and then added the 2 devices as controllers. When I go to turn on the light from switch A, it turns on but not the light (it is wired to go to the other switch and not the load). Switch B does not change when change switch A. Likewie when I turn on Switch B (the light does goes on) but switch A does not change

All that is correct. The only thing I can think of is the SmartLinc link records that still sit in those SwitchLincs are causing a problem. I would start clean. Delete the two SwitchLincs from the ISY. Factory reset both SwitchLincs and add them back with the default erase existing links option. Add the SwitchLincs back to the Scene.

When an Insteon device is turned On/Off individually with an Insteon Direct command it DOES NOT affect any devices linked to that device. To turn On/Off both devices together from the ISY click the Scene name that was used to link the SwitchLincs. Turn the Scene On/Off.

EDIT: added additional text to insure the action described is from an Insteon Direct command.

There is no other scene controlling the switches. They were linked together manually when I had the 2412 acting as the controller. That is now gone. I only have the new that I am trying to create controlling the switches through the ISY. I am really confused at this point.

Do I need to reconnect the 2412 and unlink the switches that way. Then go back and reconnect the ISY and try to relink the switches?

NO, you do not need to reinstall the SmartLinc. Under the SmartLinc you always controlled the switches with a Scene unless you coded up Custom Commands. Under the ISY you are issuing individual Insteon Direct commands which only control the device they are sent to. You could not do that under SmartLinc. Otherwise you would have already known that Insteon Direct commands control only the device they are sent to.

If you want to replicate what you did with the SmartLinc use the ISY Scene to control both devices together.

EDIT: the ISY Scene is the one used to link the Switches under ISY.

Archived