Fanlinc voltage

Guest smontclair

Guest smontclair

I installed my new fan and fan linc, but foolishly did not test the fanlinc before it was mounted. Only then did I discover that it was malfunctioning. Both motor and light controls in isy resulted in light turning on, nothing would turn on fan. Also the fan led never changed from its red/orange off color to green.

I unwired it all, deleted both devices from isy, did a factory reset on the fanlinc, and re added it to isy. Now it seems to be behaving normally, with the right LEDs lighting with isy commands.

I have not yet connected a load to it for testing, but I did have time to measure the voltage in off, 50%/fan-medium, and 100/high. 100/high delivers 117volts on both, so that looks fine, but off/0 delivers 38v on the red fan load and 23v on the blue light load. At 50, fan is 117 and light is 83.

Does this seem right? The 50% numbers don't trouble me as much as the voltage coming through while off.

Thank you!

Guest smontclair

Thanks for the advice. I connected a 100W incandescent to the lamp load and tested the voltage on the fan load. With the light turned to 100% - 35V. With the light turned to 0% - 32V. Motor on high still yields 118 volts regardless of state of light load.

Furthermore, I again attempted to install this on the fan, thinking the factory reset did the trick, and these voltages were normal. So I removed from isy, installed in fan, added to isy with no problem, but then just like the first time, either ISY device (motor or light) would activate the light and corresponding LED, and neither would activate the motor. Very strange- I do not understand.

Thanks again for your help.

I am sorry but the point was missed. Putting a load on the Light wire was to allow the voltage on the light to be measured accurately. It would have no affect on the Fan side so long as there is no load on the Fan wire.

Turn on the Event Viewer with Level 3 selected and trace the commands being sent to the Light and Fan nodes. Post the trace. While the trace is running right click the FanLinc Light node, select Diagnostics | Query Insteon Engine. That will put information into the trace which shows whether this is an I2CS device. It sounds like the FanLinc is not wired to the Fan and Light correctly (maybe). Or the FanLinc is not being commanded correctly.

How old is the FanLinc?

Click on Help | About. What is shown for the Firmware and UI llnes?

I updated some of the information in the previous post and am repeating it hear with a new post to alert the added information.

Turn on the Event Viewer with Level 3 selected and trace the commands being sent to the Light and Fan nodes. Post the trace. While the trace is running right click the FanLinc Light node, select Diagnostics | Query Insteon Engine. That will put information into the trace which shows whether this is an I2CS device. It sounds like the FanLinc is not wired to the Fan and Light correctly (maybe). Or the FanLinc is not being commanded correctly.

How old is the FanLinc?

Click on Help | About. What is shown for the Firmware and UI lines?

Guest smontclair
Or the FanLinc is not being commanded correctly.

The devils is in the details, in this case details I neglected to mention.

All the errant results were obtained controlling the fanlinc through ekeypad on my iphone, which was confirmed though the level 3 event log. When commanded through isy, problems disappear. Lesson learned. Who knows if ekeypad updated for i2cs, etc.

Now just to read up on the wiki how to control the fanlinc light dimming through my non-load-connected keypadlinc.

LeeG, thanks so much for your help! Sorry I wasted your time, as it was.

• 5 months later...

Archived