Mapping X10 to Insteon and vice versa

htjunkie

My automation/security system is HAI, which it doesn't support Insteon. I've been replacing my aging Smarthome X10 switches with Insteon, probably about 70% now are Insteon based.

I just got this ISY99 device and start programming, without knowing much into programming Insteon, I thought I would ask a few questions if it's okay.

Basically I'm hoping with all the Insteon capable devices, I'm going to remove their x10 addresses. With KeypadLincs, all buttons for controlling other loads will also be based on Insteon from now on, more reliable than with status request from X10. The trick is, to maintain compatibility between HAI and Insteon, I think I need to create a few programs per device such as:

X10 - A1 On --> If X10 'A1/On (3)' is received, then Set 'Bedroom Lights' On

X10 - A1 Off --> If X10 'A1/Off (11)' is received, then Set 'Bedroom Lights' Off

Insteon - A1 On --> If Status 'Bedroom Lights' is On, then Send X10 'A1/On (3)'

Insteon - A1 Off --> If Status 'Bedroom Lights' is Off, then Send X10 'A1/Off (11)'

I believe this will allow status update between 2 protocols (i.e. X10 and Insteon)?

However, I don't know how it happens, but somehow I got into a loop with one switch, it would just toggle on/off continuosly.

P.S. If I do a factory reset of a switch, will it remove X10 address automatically including all keypad buttons if they're assigned?

Thanks for your help.

I'm thinking for Insteon to X10, I need to use "Control" rather than "Status" to trigger so it would look like this:

Insteon - A1 On --> If Control 'Bedroom Lights' is Switched On, then Send X10 'A1/On (3)'

Insteon - A1 Off --> If Control 'Bedroom Lights' is Switched Off, then Send X10 'A1/Off (11)'

Then they would get triggered when there's a command received?

htjunkie

Your understanding is correct. If Control is looking for a specific command from the device itself from a button/paddle press.

The Program loop you mentioned in the first post was likely a mismatch in If to Then command. That is, an On (X10 or Insteon Status) was received and an Off was issued or vice versa.

Archived