Dealing with button 1 in multiple definitions (e.g., scenes)

Harold

I am hurting my head. I thought I had figured out how I wanted to make a consistent button assignment on keypad controllers by function. What I forgot is that button #1 always controls the load of the switch it is in. Be gentle. This is my first attempt at doing this sort of thing. I do have some issues about logical functioning in the programming screens/paradigm. A once removed language that implemented functions vs what is currently used for programs/scenes would, I think, be real useful. Data in screens is limited. Ability to change things in the screen in which they are displayed is a bit spotty (i.e., more options should be included). The ability to manipulate (or even enter) data shown in the Topology screen seems to be non-existent. Screens use a lot of space to provide less information than is useful/necessary. Why is there not a screen for programming that shows both name and address? It does not appear that you can edit a scene. Delete yes; alter no. Remember I am trying to to this for the first time using available documentation. I am having difficulty in following the logic of the programming/control interface architecture.

What I was trying to implement is to make the first button (#1/Main) control the light of the major area you are entering. This is what I did for the manual switches there are replacing. I did this by making a scene and putting button 1 of the 3 or 4 keypads in the first scene. This scene to correspond to the lighting group based on the desired assignment I explained above. Of course this screws up things since each #1 button directly controls the connected load as well as any other buttons in the scene. It was a pretty stupid oversight; but my thinking is that it should actually work that way. I know it is way to late for Insteon to change this behavior but it would simplify the human interface to have all buttons be able to be disconnected from physical control. Like the local load could be able to be mapped to say hex I. I don't think there is any way to eliminate the native control response for button 1.

My solution is to implement my preferred scenario starting at button #3 (C hex). This essentially removes two of the keypad buttons from my available buttons. This presumes I want to start on the first left hand button for consistent usage.

Thoughts?

Short form question: Is there a way to isolate button 1 from the function of turning on the locally connected load?

"Is there a way to isolate button 1 from the function of turning on the locally connected load?"

No.

Not directly but I have accomplished this by using an inlinelink. I did not use the load line on the keypadlinc and instead used the inlinelinc in a scene with button "H" on the keypad for the load (hallway light) on that box (2 gang) while button "A" is in a scene with button "A" from the keypad across the room and controls the load on that other keypad (ceiling light in main room). If no room in the box at the keypadlinc, you can pass the line through to the fixture, move the inlinelinc to the fixture and cap off the load lines at the keypadlincs.

-Xathros

Archived